Kenya's Markets


II: Friday Evening, Questro Central Markets, South Of Nairobi Slums Questro Markets Black casqued hornbills sang in the Wawa trees abutting Tema Village School; leather shoes crunched into river rock gravel,dirt-coated white nylon dress, and frizzy hair oscillating in the forenoon breeze. Tro-Tro’s ushered people, the opulent, the impoverished and the progenies. Flocking the soil were weaved baskets of fresh produce, roofed by grass thatch containing fruitage and green grocery in all tints and quantum. The essence of Keiti mango's flesh incised at the fresh produce stall wafted in followed by the aperitive boiling of Lablabi(Chickpea soup). Cedi coins rattled in the palms of Shangazis guffawing in corners with a pitcher of iced sobolo. Zebu’s prising crates of fresh milk as Ama's saunter with poised baskets of Biskuti ya nazi and saccharine doughnuts. Though, behind the briskness, lay wrought iron gates no one dared to provoke, the “Safe House” of Abibo Koju. A shadow of the city yet the boss of the African underworld, the refuge was declared the “devil’s lair” having had a prodigious amount of break-ins, KPS interrogations and currency movement.

The Kenyan Times had divulged Viri Boni formed in the 1990s, a mob executing money laundering, trafficking, larceny and swindling employing the inexpensive slum dwellers, ailing and vagrants. Not far from peril was our humble abode, a lowly hut inlaid with Coolatai grass ,Bibi tightening my hazel hair into Bantu knots, kissing my cheek, the love seen in her winzed smile as she recites the nightly ushairi,one that symbolizes peace a longing that we both have.
Sisi ni:
Our Beauty-our prides
Our skin-Our stride
Our Colour- Unfathomable
Our homes-Gatherable
We are a smile unseen
A life unborn
Though peace is all we want, as the southerly winds form

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!