Grey Rain

I recall where I first saw the grey rain. - Back where man showed his best and worst.
Foes could be friends and friends could be foes. - Man’s primal instinct could rob him of his dignity if he let it.
The mentally strong suffered physically. - The physically strong suffered mentally.
Under the grey rain.

I recall the fellow inmates who were assigned to be Kapos, - Driven by their greed and self-preservation,
they were often more brutal than guards. - Some fared better in camp than ever before.
One might murder their fellow inmate on a whim, - Men’s lives sold for good food and clothing.
Two birds were being killed without a stone, - Under the grey rain.

I also recall the Officers who rescued many of us, - Who hid us and protected us,
When they did not have a need to do so. - Few in number, but their being should suffice.
A shining example and testimony, - To the decent man,
Under the grey rain.

At the end, the only things an inmate had - Was his life and his dignity,
and the freedom to choose which he could sacrifice for the other.
No power on Earth can take away - The last of one’s freedom.
The freedom to transform a personal tragedy - Into a triumph and a human achievement.
Under the grey rain.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!