The Book Of Black Magic

Blood pounded in my ears. The galloping of hooves on forest floor was not all that could be heard. Something was following us, over the sound of horses, I could hear snarling. Sweat trickled down my forehead but I’m too nervous to wipe it away. “Alexa, it’s Lucifer’s wolves,” my friend Lilith cries. I gasp, briefly glancing over my shoulder, in the moonlight I could just make out hulking figures of wolves. I look around, moonlight flickers from the high canopy of trees. I clutch my worn leather satchel and will my horse to run faster. With wolves chasing, completing our assignment seemed to be a dream rather than reality.
Behind me a wolf howls, “Thanks, for the book” a voice snarls. A large black wolf came hurtling towards me. I unsheathe my sword and swing it. The wolf dodges. “Alexa” Lilith cries, her panicked tone of voice made me turn. I gasp in alarm. The wolves had herded us like sheep. Looming cliffs were overhead. We’re heading straight for them. Forced to slow, the wolves circle us. We dismount our horses and hold out our swords.
“Is this really who they entrust with the book of black magic?” the black wolf snarls. “Back off Lupus, your Master’s not getting it” I reply. I stab the wolf, but it harmlessly bounces off the wolf's hide. I gasp, Lupus laughs.
“Now give me the book if you don’t want a painful death,” Lupus spat.
“Alexa over here” Lilith cries, I look at Lupus straight into his bright yellow eyes. “Tell Lucifer he’ll never get the book while I’m its guardian” I say. My voice echoes through the forest clear as day. “You're making a horrible mistake,” Lupus says. “Lilith catch” I shout, I take off my satchel, and throw it to her, she leaps, snatching it out of the air.
“Lilith let’s get out of here” I say. I turn around, finding myself with a dagger to the throat with Lilith at the hilt.
“You won’t be going anywhere” she says coolly. Her eyes are cold and no longer hold the warmth they always had. She snaps her fingers, rope binds me.
“Lilith what are you doing?” I stutter struggling to escape.
She holds up the satchel, swinging it from side to side. “You know befriending you was easy, you're so gullible” she laughs. “Who knew that Alexa, guardian of the book of black magic, just needed a friend” Lilith smirks.
“Lucifer will enjoy this book” she smiles. “NO” I shout trying to break the ropes that bind me.“How could you. We were friends” I cry, tears streaming down my face. “Hunting for the evil warlock, with her best friend but who would suspect that the warlock would be her best friend” Lilith gave a large grin that was not her.
She snaps her fingers, a bright flash blinds me and I look away. When I look back, Lilith was no longer standing there. In her place was the warlock Lucifer.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!