A Parachute Catastrophe

“3! 2! 1! Jump!” We all screamed at once.
In a matter of 3 split seconds, we soared into the immense sky which was painted light blue. It was a magical experience. Ava and Audrey were beside me. I was happy and nervous at the same time. The sensation was exhilarating, and I received immeasurable pleasure from it. It was going to be the best day of my life! I was slowly getting lower and lower. Was this meant to happen? Audrey realised my string was breaking!
“Annabelle your string!” she yelled.
It was too late. I was uncertain whether to scream or cry and my two best friends, whose parachute’s strings were luckily strong enough, gasped in horror. It seemed like a bad movie I couldn't turn off. With the corner of my eye, I could see my parachute and backpack also saying their last words right beside me. The next few moments went in slow-motion. I always thought parachuting was safe. What would happen to me? Was this truly the end?
There wasn’t a thing to do but to close my eyes and wait for my demise. Splash! I opened my eyes and searched around to check if I was now in Heaven. To my amazement, I survived. I glanced downward to discover that a deep lake had saved me from a towering fall. I would rather die, there was no point in surviving because I couldn’t return home or find my friends! I got out of the lake and shook the water off my clothes. I walked for a few metres when I heard a massive splash. The same one I heard when I fell from the sky. I carefully turned and looked blinking through the tears which had begun to stream hopelessly down my face. I caught sight of two silhouettes in the distance.
“Annabelle! Annabelle?” they called.
I recognized the familiar voice of Ava and Audrey and rushed toward them. Before they could take a breath, I hugged them as tightly as I could.
“How do we get home?” I asked.
“Can we first complain about how bad the quality of these parachutes is, and how no one cared to save us?” Ava bellowed.
“My dad told me to just go north when you're lost, and you'll find your way back” Audrey mentioned.
Obviously, we didn’t know where the north was and went in the most random direction. We went uphill and downhill, wherever we could walk. By the time we reached the other side we had sunken and pale faces. We were as if we had not eaten for days. After catching our breath, we looked forward and saw houses! I then recognized the shopping centre in front of my house.
“I told you! My dad is the best!” Audrey exclaimed.
We rushed as quickly as our little legs could carry us. We all hugged mum who had her arms spread out. Phew!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!