A New Life

I woke up in confusion, wondering where I was. I hauled myself up to see what was going on. I saw many other people lying in beds and I suddenly realised I was in a hospital. There were many tools around me and I saw doctors everywhere. I saw a doctor standing beside me.

“I am Dr. Meg,” she introduced. “Your house was struck by lightning, and you fell unconscious. Fortunately, there were no major injuries. Just a few bruises and wounds but they will eventually heal,” he told me.

“Where’s my family?” I asked.

“Your sister survived, however your parents did not,” he answered. Droplets of tears formed in my eyes and I started to cry, extremely depressed. I saw my sister in another bed, but that barely helped. I continued sobbing, harder than I ever had. Despite my sadness, I started to calm down. I was in mourning.

The doctor soon said, “You will have to stay here for a night and then you can go,” he said. Except, where was I going to go? My house had been struck by lightning. I guess I just had to wander in the forest.

A night past and it was time for me to go. I thanked the doctor with appreciation and left. I wandered through the forest for a while with only my backpack. It had nothing but pieces of meat in it. After a while, I heard barking, coming from far ahead. I kept walking to figure out what was going on. I started sprinting after a while, until I reached the place the barking was coming from. I looked down to see four dogs looking at me. They looked fierce, hungry and adorable. I fed them some slices of meat and they gobbled them down. They looked keen to be kept by me. I started walking but they followed. I actually was fine with them joining me. I did need a bit of company anyway. So I set off. I figured I could use them as my protection. As time passed, our bonds grew stronger. I could even understand them and they could understand me just as well.

This went on for years, and soon we were a strong pack. Even though my family was gone, I had found a new one.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!