Rex Callidus

I wake to the sound of the captain yelling to anchor the boat. The floor is cold and damp and ejects multiple splinters into the palm of my hand as a push myself to stand. The scent of seawater fills my nostrils as I climb the rotting stairs to the upper deck.
"Morning Mark, you're just in time to see us embark on this new land" exclaims the head sailor.
"How far away are we from shore?" I ask.
"No idea. 200 metres perhaps," he shrugs. "Nothing you can’t handle son, let’s just hope we're the first to arrive. Those Spanish lads are always quick to mark territory such as this."
"I sure hope not, 14 months on a boat just to dock and leave… Can’t imagine returning back without a victorious tale" My stomach turns at the thought. I bury my head in my hands.
"The land is ours; victory is ours!" a crewman rejoiced.
"We did it! Well done" I cheered. My joyous cry is drowned in the sound of others rejoicing. They throw themselves into the water, desperate to plant their feet on solid ground. I too decide to follow, as I reach the shoreline, I begin to imagine the new settlement that King Henry VII will order to be constructed here. This land is different. The way the silver birch and banyan trees blow gently in the wind remind me of a vision I once had in a dream. The way the river flows makes a peaceful sound, one that is calming yet too good for human ears to comprehend. The way the air smells is like no other I have ever experienced. Sweet syrup like, the kind wafting out of England’s finest sugar factories. This is the way it must stay.
"Mr Mark Alexson, any name suggestions for this great land?" the captain asks "Something Latin perhaps. I feel this would describe this land accurately" his gaze shifts towards his compass.
"Rex Callidus" I answer. The captain notes this on the top of his page.
"Latin is not my strong point, what does it mean lad?" He questions.
"It means a cunning King. It describes the one who are you are taking orders from to destroy this land" I argue.
"He is our King, show some respect Mark. We must obey his orders. For this reason, I must charge you with treason" he yells pointing his index finger directly at me. I notice the rage in his voice and see a vein bulging out of the right corner of his forehead, close to his temple.
"You cannot accuse me of anything Captain, the English flag has not yet been placed in this soil and therefore means I have not committed any crime under the English law." I smirk and exclaim "Here Sir you are powerless."
Before he answers, I dash through the vegetation and into the dense forest, taking a step closer to the adventure I have always dreamed of.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!