Burning Time

I had always known when I was going to die. We all had. All thanks to the mobile app LifeSpan, which said how long you had left, down to the second. Or so we thought…
Before bed last night, LifeSpan said I had 586974 hours, just over 67 years. I was supposed to live a long life. When I woke up this-morning, that number had changed to 17! Today would be my last day alive. Suddenly, I got a notification from LifeSpan. It read ‘Turn on your TV’. I rushed into the other room and switched the tv on.
“This is a worldwide state of emergency,” the announcer said, “overnight, all the life timers changed to 17 hours. At first, we thought it was some type of glitch, but NASA has since confirmed that there is a meteor heading towards us, that will destroy the earth. We suggest you spend this time with family.”
I shot my mother a text reading, ‘I’m coming ASAP,’ and prepared to leave. When I made it out the door, there were 16 hours left.
Outside was chaos. People holding each other crying, cars speeding to get to families, and dozens of bodies. Some were suicides, people that thought ending it quicker would be better than waiting. The others were murdered. People seemed to believe that because the world was ending there were no rules. Trying to ignore it, I hurried to my car.
I drove until there were 11 hours left then I had to stop for food. Pulling into the nearest supermarket, I saw a sign that read; ‘all of our staff are off enjoying their final hours, doors are unlocked, take what you require.’
The place had been ransacked. There was nothing on the shelves. I wasted a lot of time trying to find something, when I did it was only a packet of chips and a chocolate bar. 10 hours. I got back in my car, eating as I drove.
After another 5 hours straight driving (6 hours remaining), I had 1 hour to go until I would reach my parent's house. I was so relieved. I was going to make it! Then I saw the traffic in front of me. I cursed the day I moved so far away from my family.
After 2 hours we had barely moved. At this rate, I was never going to make it. I took a few deep breaths, trying to stifle the rising panic. Across 3 hours, the traffic quickened and dissipated. I made it to my parents’ house with 25 minutes left.
Although it was dark, I easily found the door. Immediately after I knocked, my mother was there pulling me into a hug. The tears I had been holding back made their way to the surface. Inside, were my Dad and my brother Sam. Mum and I pulled them into our hug, and we stood there, holding each other, crying until the asteroid hit.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!