Season

Excellence Award in the 'Summertime Fun ONLINE' competition

They always came by. That woman and her lively dog, the one which would run around for ages and come back wagging its tail and panting. The one which would lie down on me and fall asleep, tenderly swishing its tail.

In Autumn, leaves fell down the trees, harlequin of red, gold, orange and yellow. They crunched under the weight of the small children’s feet. The light zephyrs seemed to turn into billowing winds which smacked against the tree trunks, like an angry bull. The weather turned frigid and there were constant shivers. By now, they only ever visited me sometimes, never always like jocund frisk and flounce that they had once. It turned into once a week, to a month and then they never came back.

In Winter, it was as though everyone had walked out of the world of light into matte darkness. The crisp atmosphere turned icy cold and the sun disappeared, its rays shining on the other side of the world, far away from where we all stood. The woman came back again but now her hair was scarce and grey in a bun and her back was hunched. Beside her, was thin air. No dog wagging its tail or begging for treats. No dog running around with the playful wind, chasing butterflies. Luminescent lamps lighted the eerie crosswalks and seemed to be the only thing which had hope. The cawing birds all flew off, leaving our city left with nothing but the grasping wind.

In Spring, the flower buds bloomed and the colour returned to the city. The parks were full of laughter again and the streets were inundated with people once more. Smiles were planted deeply onto their neighbours as they watched the birds chirp and lily-pads drift on the ponds making barely a ripple like a tender touch.

In Summer, the refreshing petrichor was a myrrh and the mellow swaying fields lay all around, behemothic. The opalescent skies were dotted with scuttling souffles. She came back now, and with a new feature. Her back was straight and her wrinkles were those from a smile. A new dog came trotting beside her, a perfect doppelganger of her previous, them both chasing butterflies and panting when they came back. Both there for the woman, never leaving her behind. Light zephyrs blew against her, loosening the bun and making her hair whip across her gaunt face, travelling far and nearly out of sight. The flowers were flies on a wall, and seemed to be faraway, in a land that was perfect for them.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!