The Good Deed

Bouncing up and down like a pogo stick and giggling uncontrollably, I felt fluttering butterflies in my stomach. It was the first day of school and I couldn’t wait to see all my old friends. Just as I opened my wardrobe to get my uniform, my mum barged in holding a strange uniform. She blurted out, “Grace, today is going to be your first day at a new school. Don’t worry, you’ll love it.”

My heart sank in deep dismay. My loyalty was devoted to my previous school. “No way! I’m not going to leave my friends!” I wailed. “Relax Grace, you’re going to make new friends in no time.I kicked up a huge fuss, but my mum wouldn’t budge. I had no choice.

An hour later, I reluctantly dragged my two heavy logs across the main entrance. I glanced across the unfamiliar yard and found a poor-looking girl. She possessed knotty but shiny golden hair, blue eyes and a ripped T-shirt. Just then, a group of big, burly bullies pushed her into the mud. I was flabbergasted.

I gave them a pearl clutching look and with all my courage, I shrieked, “Get your hands off her! And don’t get into a stew with me, I’m a black belt holder!” Simultaneously, I tip-toed my right foot towards the sky.

The bullies trembled and ran away without a second thought. I advanced towards the girl and held out my hand. “Thank you, that was very brave of you. What's your name? My name is Anna”. “My name is Grace.” We smiled and went our separate ways.

The next morning, when I arrived at school, I saw the big burly bullies shoving Anna face first into a muddy puddle. My teeth clenched and I growled. “I have to teach them a lesson,” I muttered. Taking a deep breath, I charged at them with all my might. I unleashed every karate skill I knew as fast as lightning. In a matter of seconds, they were on their backs like dead spiders calling, “Mummy!”

I frowned down at the bullies and demanded, “Now get out of here”. They scurried hastily away like rats.

From that unforgettable moment, Anna and I were best friends.

The next morning arrived. The sun glared luminously against the bright blue sky. When I strolled into the playground, a new girl caught my attention. She was wearing fancy clothes with her hair elaborately styled. As I advanced closer, I realised that it was Anna! “Why are you in fancy clothes, Anna? I thought your family was poor!” I exclaimed puzzledly.

Anna smiled mischievously. “Well Grace, I am actually an English princess. I pretended to be a poor girl because I wanted to see who wouldn’t judge a book by its cover. And you passed my test with flying colours.” My jaw dropped to the ground. I was speechless. Anna continued, “As a reward for your friendship and bravery, you will be invited to spend your holidays in my castle”. I squealed, “I can’t believe it. It’s a dream come true! This is going to be the best thing since sliced bread!”
It was really true what people said: what goes around comes around.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!