The Light Keeper

Excellence Award in the 'Summertime Fun ONLINE' competition


In the middle of nowhere, a tiny hut sat silently on a small hill watching the perfect white clouds turn into dark nightmares. A vicious wind howled as it washed over the mysterious land below. The gloomy sky started filling up with tears from the clouds above, While a young woman sat staring at her window sill like there was a black hole that wouldn't let her eyes escape its dark and icy depths. Her hair was covered by a soft maroon cape that seemed to stretch on for miles. Her eyes were as blue as the ocean, glowing in every direction. Her face was expressionless as she stared at the grass as the angels cries and the lions' roars drowned it. Her hands slowly arose as they woke up from the long slumber bringing all the lights and dreams into her palms. The sun which seemed to be dancing in her fireplace sparked its flames higher as she threw the lights, dreams and prayers in with it. For the lady, this was her regular routine for the night. Each night she would gather all the lights and dreams and throw them into her fireplace to keep them safe for the night. To her this was normal, but many of the people who knew she was the light keeper, didn't acknowledge the fact and were jealous. She always just left those negative words to eat at her until one night everything changed.

As per usual she gathered the sun, lights and dreams. They slept in her fireplace, waiting eagerly for her to return them back in the morning, but as the stars crept away and the moon went into hiding, the sun didn't leave her fireplace to light the sky up, instead, it stayed in the far back corner and crouched away from all the other golden light in there with it. The sky seemed like an endless void of misery, only ever showing its grim darkness. As she tried to convince the sun to warm up the sky and make it bright it crouched even further away and began to crumble. As the day went on the sky grew colder and sadder until she couldn’t take it anymore and asked the stars and moon to take their place in the sky a bit earlier. They agreed to do it as long as it never happens again, so that night she set out and followed the path of the stars to figure out what had happened. A bitter wind washed over her face as well as a feeling of deep horror. Before her stood an immense, dilapidated mansion that gave her the feeling that dead people had been lurking in the darkness of its shadowy corners. She closed her eyes as she turned the rusting doorknob an eerie shriek filled the air, her old friend who she thought she could trust was turning her dreams into nightmares. She grabbed hold of the nightmares and with a sudden scream, froze!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!