A Mystery

The sky sparkled as night fell. I had never seen anything like it, but there was only one word to describe it all. Beautiful. Pure beauty, like the heaven of the night, the one thing that was worth living for. The celestial moon seemed enchanting tonight, more than every night, as it illuminated the deep blue sea. The waves weaved in and out, reminding me of a deep blue silk I had only once laid my eyes upon. The mere memory of the extraordinary fabric was enough to make me wish I was back in the castle, there to bask in its otherworldly glory. The ocean was, of course, a blanket, an ornate blanket which offered protection and serenity to the Earth and all its magnificent creatures. I reached out my hand to feel it. The water was so cool and refreshing, like rubbing your hand on cold, smooth ice after being outside on a hot summer’s day. Just feeling something so pure brought back memories, memories which prompted something I was relieved to have flood into my mind. Hope.
The night sky reminded me of crystals and royalty as it twinkled with bright, shimmering stars. The stars added a special, starry touch, and it made everything seem more…surreal. Whether it was gazing up at the starry sky above me or observing the deep blue sea on which I was sailing on, both areas never failed to inspire me. Looking at huge things like that made me realise how small and insignificant I was compared to Mother Nature’s Hall of Landmarks. I had no idea how many secrets were lying in the very places I was gazing upon, and it made me wonder if I would ever be privileged enough to solve a mystery in the glorious sea or sky. Both were the colour blue, a true, calm colour which promoted belief in oneself and made me feel, for the first time in days, that things would be alright.
I lay down on the reedy raft that I had made, hoping that the beautiful ocean would fill my dreams with sweetness, adventure and hope, instead of the terrifying, painful nightmares which often haunted me in my sleep. Being the sole survivor and carrier of deep secrets sometimes had a burden I wish I didn’t have to shoulder.
I might’ve been dreaming, but a pool of light appeared, like a crack in the sky. Even though the mysterious, glowing, alien-like orb definitely didn’t belong here, it felt like this was its rightful place. I felt like ignoring the glimmering ball of light, until something about it made my eyes bulge and my jaw drop. An aura of purity and calm like the ocean and sky itself filled the air, as a pair of striking teal eyes became visible inside the globe. A gorgeous pair of eyes which seemed so familiar, but I couldn’t place it. But then, I understood. Those eyes…
They were his eyes.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!