Cerulean Eyes

Procidens in abyssum, falling into the abyss. I couldn’t breathe, recklessly twisting and turning trying to escape.

As if the world had apathy, they left me alone to endure the descent through the void. “Hello?” I called to the darkness, no answer not even a rustle. How did I get here? Involuntarily travelling throughout time. Time, how long have I been here, I started counting the seconds, 1,2,3,4,5.

5 seconds in silent agony until a light appeared at the end of the chasm. Finally, I’m almost out of this horrid, claustrophobic tunnel. The light got brighter, like a torch was being shined into my eyes. There was a metallic taste in my mouth as I sat up. A lavender scent around me. I took in as much oxygen as I could.

The taste lingered in my mouth as I looked at my surroundings, a glistening lake to my right and a small girl standing over me. She was saying something but it was incoherent. A tall man rushed over with 2 ladies in tow, ‘Who are these people? Where am I?’ I thought, I couldn’t speak. I could barely sit upright.

The ladies got to us, one with luscious black hair and olive skin, the other had fair skin and brown hair, my sisters. Suddenly everything clicked. I was outside by the lake feeding the ducks, then I slipped and fell into the water. It was like something pulled me into the murky depths.

There was a shift in the atmosphere, like a burden had been lifted. I looked back at the lake just to see a pair of cerulean eyes staring back at me. A couple of days passed after the accident. I kept seeing the eyes, they were cold at first but over time they softened.

I started to find comfort in the blue eyes, I found myself seeking them wherever I went. Day after day I saw the eyes, staring at me, in the sink, the lake, through the windows. They were following me.

Everyday I went to the lake desperate to find the cerulean eyes. I started journalling whenever I saw the eyes. 24th April 3:54pm in the lake, 27th April, 7:14am in the sink, 28th April 6:37pm through the window.

2 days passed.

I had to attend a party, I hadn’t seen the eyes yet that day, so there I sat, picking out a pair of earrings to wear, there were plenty of options but I chose delicate, golden suns.

I lifted my head to switch my earrings and caught a glance at myself in the mirror. I looked at my features, then I saw them. The cerulean eyes, staring at me, the same eyes that followed me everywhere, were my own.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!