The Lead Up

I woke up suddenly to a loud, recurring noise. I checked the time and it was too early to be up. I swiftly ran to the kids’ room upon hearing them distressed by it; screaming, eyes bucketing. I comforted them, putting them back to sleep.
To get an understanding of the noise, I opened my window. I recognised it immediately. They were air raid sirens. I didn’t think much of it, since they’d mistakenly gone off 2 months ago. This was different though, the sirens were going for much longer.
It wasn’t long until I heard it. BANG! It was accompanied by another 5. Screams of terror followed the missiles. My heart sank. This was for real.
I began to come in touch with reality. These could be our last moments. Something similar happened 10 years ago. I was only 15 the first time I heard those sirens. I’d developed a strong sense of fear. My sister, 11 at the time, ran outside, my mother running after her.
A plane approached us, so fast, you’d miss it if you blinked. Large objects flew to the ground. It felt like a movie. I believed I was going to die. Then came the explosions, so loud, I’d gone deaf. An eruption of debris flew into the sky. Involuntarily, I flew into the wall, struggling to get to my feet. Glass shattered over the floor, cutting me all over. I was in agonising pain.
“HELP!” I yelled, petrified. “MUM!” Glassware had flown out the drawers and shattered on the ground. The oven door flew off. Our house was a wreck. As I went to look for my mum and sister, I heard my sister scream, louder than ever. That was it. Her final moments. They took my mother away from me, forever.
The kids. I immediately raced to them and took them to the car. I lived close to the border so without thinking, I packed a few bags. I sped along the road through horrifying piles of corpses and rubble. I could only look in horror. As we neared the border, I encountered a 2 kilometre line, waiting. This will take forever.
Upon approaching the end, an announcement was made. “Men, aged 18-48 must remain and fight.” The kids cried, asking what was wrong.
“You’ll be alright, it’s okay.”
I hid my fear from them, frantically yelling for somebody who could take care of my kids.
“I myself have two kids, I'll be happy to take yours across,” a young lady offered to help.
“Yes please, take good care of them. God bless your family,” I responded. I was so grateful yet terrified for my children’s sake. That was the last I’d spoken to her. I hadn’t even gotten her name.
I bawled my eyes out for the first time in years, hugging my children, saying my last goodbyes. I needed to fight for this country, no matter the cost. It was my only choice for me to see my children again. One thought came to my head, ‘Victory’.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!