Joy Found In A Railway Station

It was a cold, seemingly endless winter. Blankets of snow put the rest of the town in obscurity, and only the tops of tall steeples were visible. Snow and rain fell heavily, almost as if to escape the sky. The thick dove grey clouds blocked out any trace of dim sunlight from above.

The town’s railway station was once a piece of architectural brilliance and recognised amongst other cities. However, time took its toll, and it was not as grandeur as before.

A single lamp cast an ominous glow upon the cobbled stone floor, illuminating old train tickets that were scattered around, forgotten. Weeds and moss lingered out of cracked flagstones in the corridors. Yet, in attempt to restore the station to its previous glory, the brick walls had been repainted in pearly colours. This was particularly effective during this time of year, as it contrasted well with the countless decorations of red and green that hung all over the place.

Likewise, the simple joys of the holiday season almost made up for the unaccommodating winter. Despite the weather, the station was a hive of activity, with the footsteps of busy travellers; busy to get home for Christmas.

A young boy sat on a stiff wooden bench. He had curly blonde hair that reached his eyebrows and was dressed in a grey jacket and raven black pants. His eyes, however, were most difficult for one to look at, for they held a sadness far beyond what a boy his age would usually endure.

For this boy had no home to go to this Christmas.

The passer-byers paid him no heed, as they bustled around the platform. Merry voices could be heard, but the boy just sat there in silence, lonely as a single star in the sky.

He sat there for what felt like eternity. He had nowhere to go, nowhere to be, and so what else should he do?
After a while, the station became quieter, until only the presence of few could be seen. Still, the boy sat.

…We wish you a Merry Christmas,
We wish you a Merry Christmas,
We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year…

From a distance, a chorus of voices singing carols could be heard.

…Good tidings we bring, to you and your kin…

Kindly, they approached the boy. He looked up. A young girl shyly held a choir book.

“Come sing with us”, she said cheerfully.

A smile broke out on the boy’s face, warm as a summer day. Standing up, he eagerly accepted the book.

“Thank you”, he said, sincerely. His voice contained hesitancy, but there was a feeling of hope. He did not know what the future would hold, only that this step will lead him to a new beginning.

And to the boy, the cold wind seemed a little bit warmer, and the shadowy corridors of the station a little bit brighter.

…We wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year...

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!