Escape

Excellence Award in the 'Summertime Fun ONLINE' competition

Panting, I woke up in a sweat. A cold, tingly chill crawled up my spine. Where am I? I froze when I laid eyes on the rusty astronaut helmet. Why was that there? I got up out of bed, my numb, trembling legs trailing behind me. A sudden shimmer caught my eye. My head jolted towards the light, and my heart sank. It was space. The stars glistened brightly. A sudden noise startled me. Red, flashing lights flickered as an alarm started. I covered my ears and looked towards the ceiling. A black, wide, screen spread across the roof. Bold white letters flickered on and off. Thankfully, the alarm stopped and I could finally see what it read. “10…hours? What does that mean?” A deep, gruff voice came over the speakers. I quivered. ``10 hours to escape.” The voice muttered coldly. The rusty iron bars fell open with a creak. My trembling legs carried me out into the modern hallway. All of a sudden, my hands leapt onto my throat. I started to gasp for air, panting and looking around frantically. Suddenly, I remembered, and I scrambled towards the ancient astronaut helmet. Hands shaking, I grabbed the helmet, sighing with relief once I had put it on. I cautiously approached the hallway once again. I peeked my head out the doorway and looked both ways. As I walked down one of the long, silver hallways, my head started to spin uncontrollably with thoughts. How was I planning to escape this spaceship? Am I alone or is-THUD. A sudden noise startled me, and I turned around quickly. Nothing there. I was about to turn back around but something stopped me. I couldn’t help but feel that something, or someone, was watching me. Shadows lurked. I turned around and walked faster. I could feel something strange, like the eyes were staring harder-if there were any. I couldn’t do it, I just had to look behind. My heart felt as if it had stopped beating, dropped and shattered on the ground. A massive eye was looking at me. I turned around and sprinted. I didn’t dare to look back. Hours passed, and I was starting to become tired. “4 hours.” The gruff voice muttered. I was starting to lose hope. “1 hour.” The voice grumbled again. What was I supposed to do? I turned left, then right, then left again. “10 minutes.” The voice called. I was losing more and more hope by the minute. I turned right, just to see the end of the massive hallway, a door placed right in the middle. “I did it!” I screamed. I ran as fast as I could towards the door, my heart pounding with joy. I swung open the shiny, glistening door, just to see emptiness. “10 seconds.” I looked down, just to see pitch black darkness. It was like space was swallowing me whole. And that’s when it hit me, the worst thought of all. I was stuck. There was no escape.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!