Seasonal Australia

Excellence Award in the 'Summertime Fun ONLINE' competition

Summer adorns the hills as Australia’s lofty, floral hat; crowning the transition between years new and old. I like to think of the seasons as a variety of colours. Summer is the pallet of full, emerald leaves, cinnamon trunks and deep azure oceans. People wear bracelets of woven threads and sea-shells. Beaches become wild with the salty mixture of surf-worthy waves and notoriously golden sands and people shiny with the lacquer of sunscreen. Afterall, it is only Summer when both the joy and the heat is served so heftily that each is equally tangible.



When Summertime’s head at last nods off sleepily, Autumn is there as the sweetener to her dreams. Berries come to the autumnal air and golden flakes embellish the branches in a hurrah of victorious colour. Symphonies and orchestras harmonise together, celebrating and guiding each fiery hue and shadow to fit together like pieces of the great puzzle that is our seasons.

The time of embraces and gatherings are here, as are warm hot chocolates and the warmer smiles. I gaze up at golden canopies of saplings. They are laughing again now, once more dressed in their carnival clothes; scarlets and oranges of our autumn days. They happily play about the earthy tones of their branches, rewarding flags rippling high in our Australian skies.



The Winter sun readies for her seasonal time, as Autumn finishes May with a flourishing burst of golden confetti, a reminder of the warm past and a promise of a beautiful winter ahead.



The aroma of damp pine trees creates a fresh, clean, wintry air. Although the white duvet of snow isn’t large enough to envelope the whole world, Australian winters still come with their refreshing share of hot cocoa and biting southerly gales.

All flora lies dormant and still under the frigidity of winter while fauna migrate to warmer climates before returning for the Spring. We ourselves stay mostly indoors, enjoying the company of an evocative movie under a thick layer of blankets with a much-needed warm drink.

The trees, now bare of their carnival garments, are poised like ballet dancers, a reminder that the harsh things also have aspects of beauty and grace.



Spring comes fast, like the first verse of nostalgic music turned up to its highest volume. A newly illuminant sun comes forth from the depths of Winter, arms outstretched, ready to wrap the country in her familiar, luminescent rays.

Vibrant greens carpet the land, a gift from heaven’s vaults. Flowers blossom upon vast shamrock paddocks, first in colourful pairs before expanding to a buoyant gathering, gleefully whispering and dancing in the floaty breeze.

The time of plenty is here, and an abundance of joy enriches nature; energizing the atmosphere. Souls become fluid as the occasional springtime shower. Butterflies' wings greet the air as Spring’s enthusiasm slowly dies down.

Summer finally accepts the baton from Spring yet again, ready to run the 2023 relay.







FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!