Beasts Of The Shadow

Excellence Award in the 'Summertime Fun ONLINE' competition

“One fish please Tom.” The woman’s sharp voice sliced through the lighthouse keeper’s daydreams, disrupting thought of his daughter at home. “Oh, um certainly madam,” Tom replied, bagging his last fish. Finally, he could go home to his daughter with precious pennies in his pocket. He walked onto the jetty, hopped in his small rowboat, then started off home.
As the shadows lengthened, so did the waves which sent Tom’s boat rocking up and down. Then came the rain. Icy drops from the heavens poured down, determined to soak him and his boat. But still, he rowed on, guided by the barely visible light from the top of his home.
As he neared the rocky shores of the lighthouse, lightning danced across the sky and ear-splitting thunder rolled through the night. But still, he rowed on.
Suddenly, huge, nightmarish beasts of shadow projected down from the lighthouse with horrible shapes covering the light. Tom’s thoughts changed to his young girl, home alone, and with newfound energy he rowed harder than ever before; desperate to get home, desperate to keep on the light, desperate to save his daughter.
Finally, Tom hit the jetty and ran as fast as he could until he reached the door. Slamming it open, Tom bolted inside and ran through the silent house, ready to confront a monster of fantasy, of teeth, jaws and claws.
When he reached his daughter's room he was greeted by an empty bed. With his worst fear confirmed, Tom ran to the tower and started climbing the creaky stairs. Peering out each passing window, he still saw giant, midnight black shadows creeping across the ocean, ominous and menacing.
The journey to the top had never felt so long. With each step, his heart beat harder. With each step, his muscles ached, but still, he continued on. Then he reached the top step. Tom opened the door. He burst in. “Daddy, do you want to play shadow puppets with me?” his daughter asked.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!