The Letter

Dear reader,
I truly wish I could tell you it ends well for you. But sadly, my life impacts everyone I encounter, including you, my friend. You took this letter intending to finish, but the story never truly ends. It all started for me a few days ago on a dark night when I was returning home from work. I was near home when I saw someone ahead. It was a young lady who held out an envelope and smiled. “Open it my friend,” she said. So, I looked down and opened the envelope, pulling a letter out. As I did so, I looked up to ask, “What is this-?” However, I was surprised to see the girl was no longer there. I looked around to see where the girl had gone. But she really had disappeared.
I decided to put my curiosity on hold and walk home, hoping for no more interruptions so I could get home and open the letter in solitude.
Ten minutes later I opened my front door, turned on the light and sat in my chair to read.
‘Dear reader, I truly wish I could tell you it ends well for you. But sadly, my life impacts everyone I encounter, and this includes you, my friend. You took this letter intending to finish, but my story never truly ends. It all started for me...’ I continued reading. And as I read the last line, I felt sick. ‘This is a continuous loop. If you do not find a victim to pass this to, you will stay here forever. I apologise sincerely for my actions.’
I read the letter three times before I truly understood the meaning. I felt scared and uneasy about what I had to do. I decided to sleep on it and think if I really could hurt someone else like this.
I had a restless night’s sleep, the letter sitting beside my bed – a nightmare that wasn’t going away. I woke and poured myself a cup of coffee, settling on the couch to scroll my phone and look at the news. How odd, the headlines were the same as yesterday. I decided to walk to the park and think about this new development along with my situation. On the way, I bumped into a co-worker.
“Boss, you had better hurry, we have an important meeting today!” And with that she hurried off. What the? I checked my phone. I realised I was repeating Friday! I go to work, going through the motions as the previous day’s activities repeated. At the end of the day, I walked home hoping to see the mysterious lady. I didn’t but I still had the letter.
This morning, rather than repeating Friday again, I decided to end the cycle. I walked out the door and eventually came upon a person. I swallowed hard, gritted my teeth and passed them the letter.
‘Dear reader, I truly wish I could tell you it ends well for you...’

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!