The Follower

For years I’ve been running. From the enemies who desire what I have, and from danger. Last time I saw my family was when I left three months ago. It was nerve wracking putting them in danger like that. They gave me some money for schooling. Now I go to Oceania High School. Laying low was a clever idea, as I could now make friends.
“Abby, stop staring at him, it’s time to go.”
“Mmmhh, what? Sorry.”
"Come on you’re always daydreaming.”
Lilith was always like this. Always wanting what was best for me. She was like the sister I never had. Especially when her family took me in. The walk from school wasn’t lengthy as we took the shortcut down the alleyway. The light was dim and the stench of decomposing garbage in the dumpster was pungent. It smelt like rubbish and carrion were dumped in there. Other than that, it was the quickest way home. Well, home as in, Lilith’s house. We were a quarter of the way down the alley when Lilith asked me a very irritating question.
“So do you like him then?”
‘Oh boy here it comes!!!’ I thought in my head. “Umm, who?” I replied.
“Come on don’t play dumb, I saw the way you looked at Josh, you practically batted your eyelashes at him.”
“Lilith, seriously, no I don’t. I think.”
“Ooooooh, that means that you do.”
I gave her the death stare. That silenced her. It’s so annoying because as soon as we started high school, it was all about boys. In fact, I’ve never felt the need for a boy to gawk at me or protect me. I have battled demons of all kinds without any knights in shining armour. Something moved in the shadows. Instinctively, I put my arm out in front of Lilith.
“Stop.”
“Abby, what’s going on?”
She had fear in her voice. Suddenly it jumped out at me. Lilith screamed as I was knocked to the ground. ‘No,’ I thought. After all these years, it finally found me.
My head hit the concrete as I fell, knocking me unconscious. The last thing I remember was Lilith’s face, consumed by trepidation and tears.
I woke up the following day, restrained with my hands behind my back. I was at school. I moved my head and a splitting headache ensued, paining me with what felt like needles. Every one of my classmates sat in the gym, frozen in fear. I suddenly remembered about the demon. And then the dagger I had stashed in my pocket. The demon was facing the crowd of terrified students. Using this distraction, I bent down, grabbed the dagger, and swiftly cut through the rope, trying to avoid detection.
“Rule number one of kidnapping, make sure the person doesn’t have a weapon on them.”
I threw the dagger at the window, smashing glass and letting sunlight enter the gym hall. The demon stumbled back shrieking in pure torment, before bursting into flames.
“I will return!!” cried the Follower.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!