The Aurora

Excellence Award in the 'Summertime Fun ONLINE' competition

A step. A crunch. A footprint left behind. A trail of them, leading away behind her into the endless fog and snow. She looked prominent and large amongst the peaceful landscape, just like the trees around her. Tall, significant and snowy pines spiralled into the night sky. The wind rustled their evergreen leaves and shivered their profuse branches. Shadows danced throughout the undergrowth.
Within the blistering cold, Ivy travelled across the snowy region of British Columbia. She felt like she stuck out like a sore thumb, in this pale abyss. If she were to look up, she would see an endless array of stars sprinkled like sugar across the darkness. Her broad boots and heavy coat were hardly enough to keep her warm.
She crept across the unfamiliar territory, scanning the trees ahead. A glimpse of shimmering colours reflected off the ground. Cautiously, she edged her way through the pines. Ivy stopped in her tracks and gazed below her. A frozen lake lay on the ground. Colourful lights reflected from the icy shell. Her gaze lifted upwards.
Colours flickered across the sky, weaved into a beautiful display. Lights of purple, green and blue shimmered upon the canvas of sky. Fluttering and flittering, it looked like it was painted by cherubs.
It was, by far, the most beautiful aurora she had ever seen.
She began walking towards the edge of the lake. Standing beside it, she looked upwards into the sky still. Ivy noticed small flecks of snow beginning to float down beside her. Snowstorm. Spinning around, she began the steady trip towards her home at a fast pace.
The darkness of the night and the fog of the storm became too much to handle. Snowflakes whirled around her in a merciless attack, every step became harder and harder to take. The tall pines sheltered her from the brunt of the white storm, but it always seemed to find a way past.
Ivy was swept away into a dreamlike state trying not to let the cold bite her. She hunched down, clinging to herself and a pine tree. Bright lights shone suddenly in her eyes. She squinted in surprise, jolting back to her senses. A roar found its way past the snow and into her ears. Big black tires, shining silver metal barely visible. A car.
A tall figure stepped out of the vehicle. His eyes shone with recognition and worry. Was it a neighbour? He lifted her and placed her in the back of the vehicle and spoke words she couldn’t process.
She woke with eyes looking into hers, and hers staring straight up at a roof. Her roof. Her home. Ivy smiled, imagining the lights of that aurora appearing again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!