The Slippers

'200 years ago, the devilishly clever Matthias ‘Genius’ Martinez created the most powerful object ever known by mistake. Appalled at what he had created; Matthias hid his creation in a secret chamber within the walls of his manor. He disappeared soon after and nobody has ever heard from him again.'

Violet shivered. “I’m guessing I won the scary story competition?” asked Oscar. “You look as if you saw a ghost!” “It's just a story. It’s not as if it actually happened.” Sadie said. Mrs Martinez peeked around the door. “That’s what I always say, but do the boys listen? No! They just tell the story to scare visitors. Also, lights out.” “Muuuuuuum! Ten more minutes? Pleeeease?” begged Oscar. Mrs Martinez shook her head. “Nope.” Oscar rolled his eyes, but turned off his bedside lamp anyway.

‘Screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech!’ The sound echoed around. Violet looked at Oscar’s bedside clock.11:50. “It sounds like nails on a blackboard.” Sadie shuddered. “What’s that noise?” demanded Oscar, sitting up and grabbing a torch. “Come!” said Violet “Let’s find out!”

The noise echoed through the mansion. It grew louder as they neared the back of the home. As the friends approached the back wall of the house, the noise became deafening. The children covered their ears. Suddenly, a flash of colour caught Violet’s eye. It was a tiny colour wheel. A small gold plated plaque read: 'Hacer mi firma'. Violet and Sadie looked on in confusion, but suddenly Oscar spoke up. “Make my signature” he recited. The girls stared at him in amazement. “What?” he asked. “I’m fluent in Spanish.” They all examined the plaque, but it was in vain. Well, until Violet stood up suddenly. “I’ve found something!” she whispered. Oscar shone his torch on a small insignia of a tiny halo. “Matthias’ sign,” breathed Oscar. “The name translates to ‘God’s gift’ in Hebrew - that’s why he chose a halo.” “What’s his signature then?” pondered Violet. “Purple.” replied Oscar. “It assumedly was the colour of his deadly invention.” Sadie pressed the blue and red triangles and as the screeching died away, the wall slid back and across, revealing a secret room behind. They all looked at each other and stepped in.

Once they were inside the secret chamber, the trio glanced around in the dark. Suddenly, a spotlight shone on a glowing pedestal, on top of which were two lilac ballet slippers, which Sadie rushed over to. Her arms were in great confusion, her right reaching for the slippers, her left pulling away. “Sadie!” called Violet, “What are you doing?”. Sadie just wailed in agony. Violet lit a match and threw it across the room with utmost precision. The slippers immediately caught alight. A chunk of roof missed Sadie by an inch, breaking her trance. “We’re leaving now!” called Oscar, as the room crumbled around them. Thankfully, they made it to the door just in time. You can just imagine Mrs Martinez’s face when she saw their burns the next day, though!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!