Sinking

Excellence Award in the 'Summertime Fun ONLINE' competition

“Help me,” I scream as arctic cold water rush through my numb feet. My soft satin dress attached between the cold, ghost like hooks of the doors. Horror and fear travel all over my body, I start to tremble with desperate panic. Crystal chandeliers that once adored the ornate celling’s start to shake. The extravagance and luxury of the ship starts to lose its beauty. The sudden rumble in the distance of thunder sliced through the atmosphere. It was sinking… The ship was sinking… My body starts shaking rapidly, every inch of me covered in goosebumps from the arctic water. The ship twists and turns like a never ending pendulum ride, as water gushes through the ship. My dress tears, finally free. Panic screams and cries fill the air, while I try to race up to the top deck. My limbs start to become numb, I felt myself slipping. My heart races. Taking deep breaths I reach to the top. The once crystal blue sky now devoured by dark, ominous clouds. As warmth followed behind me, I fall, like a marionette that has just been untethered from its strings. Only darkness…
The darkness starts to become something beautiful. My home. I could see sunflowers standing, bathing in the light, while bees lay intoxicated by nectar. The picturesque landscape surrounds the sun as it drops to the horizon, creating an assortment of colours. My cottage with overgrown vines and flowers watches the sun. While my dog barks as he runs around the fields, where lavender and daisies are blooming. Then, a gust of wind causes my body to shiver. I open my eyes just to see another pair. Aquamarine eyes. I couldn’t believe it. My heart starts leaping up with joy. Only my best friend has those eyes. Dominic! My body immediately clutches onto his. His smile, paralysing me with happiness. As I tell him we should go to the rescue boat, I hear some news. “Only one spot left, “the man shouted. My face fell. My eyes start to water- tears of diamonds falling from them, staining my dress. “You go,” Dominic smiles as he grabs something from behind. My eyes stay down, refusing to look at his hypnotising aquamarine eyes. Water-bullet-like raindrops start to fire downwards from the gloomy, melancholy sky. I start to get uneasy as the sound produced an eerie melody. My hands loose grip from his and I race to the rescue boat, not looking back. As I step onto the boat my vision blurs… The pain of losing my friend is tearing me apart. Surrounded by the dark inky oceans and the eerie, pitch black abyss blanketing the earth- I turn back. Only to see him jump. As I bring my shaky hands up for comfort, a waterfall of tears drench my cold, freckled face. I turn again, watching the ship tip over. As I watch the ocean someone pops up. My mouth fell open. Dominic! “You can’t get rid of me,” he laughs.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!