The Towers Of Penhoven

Rosalina groaned, half awake, then realised she hadn’t made a sound. The sickening pain awoke in her body, stopping all her senses and she had a sudden urge to sit up and shake it all off, but again her muscles weren’t listening, as if in deep sleep.
She waited for hours to hear her Mum’s footsteps down the hall and her Mum finally walked in and saw her daughter’s state. Her Mum instantly crouched down by her side. “Rosie darling, what’s happened?”
Her voice was an urgent whisper, willing Rosie to answer. But Rosie’s eyes stayed closed and mouth slightly ajar.
The doctor came in soon after, inspecting every inch of her skin. Eventually, he did a blood test taking out a prick of blood from Rosie with a needle. His face turned grim, and Mum gasped as they saw miniscule purple dots in the red blood.
“It is Mikaelia, a very rare disease. Unfortunately, there is only one antidote and is in a place thousands of kilometres away, called ‘The Towers
of Prenhoven.’ I'll shall try hard to find some adventurers to find the precious antidote."
***
Dirk Precher slightly drooled on his revolver as Helena Robbins, another adventurer with sweet green eyes and blonde hair tied up in a bun, crawled over towards him and shook him vigorously awake. “Do you want to save Rosalina or not, you animal, we’re in the middle of the forest and if we don’t start moving soon, Rosie will be dead. The helicopter just left us here with no map, a gun and some food.”
Walking on and on for miles, a tiny dot compared to the rest of the world, they found a darker part of the forest with magnifying beauty. There were three towers touching the sky with green vines climbing up the old bricks and clinging to every surface available.
“This is ‘The Towers of Prenhoven’, I’d think,” Helena said, astonished.
“How could you guess,” Dirk replied in his jokey voice, making sure his curly black hair wasn’t in any bad position. They both put up their revolvers pointing in every direction as soon as they heard a sound.
A glistening gold fountain was in the centre with what looked like a little box trying to hide itself with the vines. They cautiously jogged over to it and touched it with their fingers and pulled it out. Helena opened it, and there miraculously was the antidote.
“No, that was too easy.” Dirk whispered and as soon as he said the words the towers started crumbling down.
“RUN!!!!” shouted Helena and noticed that Dirk wasn’t moving at all, petrified by the scene, she picked him up and raced far away for cover.
***
They met Rosie with her mother the next day, the antidote preciously untouched. The doctor nodded and inserted it into Rosie’s bloodstream, instantly the dots started going away.
Rosie looked up deep into her mother’s face, tears of happiness drenching down her slim face, “Mum?” And snuggled deep within her outstretched arms.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!