I can't believe it happened to me

The arrow whizzed through the air. It missed its target by a hair’s breadth. As unusual as it may sound, I was glad. In fact, I was extremely overjoyed. Why? The target, was me. This is the very sad story of how I got to be in such an unfortunate position. Let me introduce myself. My name is Amy Austin, although I’ve never liked that name. I have a brother, only 10 months older than I am but 15 times uglier and seems 15 times bigger. Although he is only months older than I am he uses that far too much to his advantage. The ‘thing’ I’m forced to call my brother has a name quite contrary to his nature. His name is Doug, which back-to-front is ‘guod’, which looks quite like ‘good’. My parents are horrible when it comes to names! By now you should be feeling a strange emotion rising up in you – pity, for me.

Now that we’ve been introduced and you’ve been warned that my tale is one of great sadness, I’ll begin my story. You see, I was riding to the park one day, whistling a tune to myself and thinking about nothing in particular, when Doug jumped out of the bushes beside the path on which I was riding. I squeezed my brakes so hard my knuckles turned white with effort but to no avail. My bike collided with the boy-I-don’t-want-to-be-related-to. We screamed in unison. He screamed with anger and I screamed with fright. It never occurred to me that I should run home. I just ran as fast as I could away from the terrible beast on my heels. I could feel his hot breath down my shirt. I could hear Doug’s threats in my ear. I could see his awful shadow being cast on the road.

I ran for my life down the old dirt road to the park. At last I arrived at my destination. To my dismay it was empty. No help. No peace. Nobody in sight but the person who could make sure I would never see again. I looked around for a place to hide. My options were dangerously limited to a tree, a smelly garbage bin, a stream or under a wooden bench. I chose a 5th option; I turned around and started pleading for mercy. Big mistake number three (after 1, being born and 2, running into Doug). Doug took off his large, leather belt (which was made just for him) and, after whipping me a few times, tied me to the tree. After nodding with satisfaction at my pain, Doug drew a bow and arrow. He carefully took aim. I was quite surprised when he missed. Doug muttered under his breath. As the second arrow zipped through the air, a bullet sliced the arrow in half. Doug was taken by surprise. A squad of police officers descended, tied Doug up and took him away. I never saw him again and I don’t regret it, except for one thing. The police forgot to untie me.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!