I didn't do it

“I didn’t do it, I swear on my life I didn’t do it” Charlotte cried, throwing her hands up in the air. She banged her fist against the cell wall out of sheer frustration. The dull throbbing that erupted through her fingers was painful but she wasn’t going to let on in front of Michael.
“All the evidence is there the only thing we don’t have is an eye witness. There was means and motive; we found the suspected weapon with your finger prints on it. There has been a long history between the two of you.” Michael said, leafing through his papers,
“I didn’t do it! There is no eye witness because there was nothing to see. My fingerprints were on that pitch fork because I was moving it out of the way.” Charlotte got up pacing the room; she ran her hands through her hair.
“If you keep going like that you could end up in jail for a life sentence.” Michael replied still leafing through papers.
“How come you’re talking about how long I’ll be in jail? How can I prove my innocence? You’re my legal help you help me prove my innocence, not tell me other stupid lies!” Charlotte screamed at him, throwing her hands forward to hit him but stopping her self just in time. Michael stared blankly back at her, his expression not readable. Slowly a small smile tugged at the edges of his mouth.
“You know I can’t prove you innocence because I know that you’re not, so stop trying to tell me you didn’t do it with all this small talk and just cut to the chase. Tell me why you did it, maybe I can get you off on a couple of years if I can prove that you have a mental condition. Maybe I can get you off all together if I can convince them that you should just go in a psychiatric hospital for a couple of years. ” Michael said, pondering the thought.
“No! What the heck do you think you are saying! I’m not crazy. Just get the hell out of here, I don’t need you or your help” Charlotte cried, Michael picked up his papers and his briefcase and walked to the door of the cell. He turned back toward Charlotte, hand on the cell door. He smiled,
“Just remember, I am legal help. The reason you have me is because you can’t afford a lawyer. Now you don’t have anyone because I’m not going to help you anymore. Now that’s not going to look to good in court is it? Defending yourself. Ha!” Michael said harshly. He yanked open the door and slammed it hard behind him.
“What…no I didn’t mean leave…I just got a little bit angry.” Charlotte slid down the cell wall, tears stinging her eyes.
“I didn’t do it” Charlotte whispered, tears pouring down her face.
“I swear on my life I didn’t do it.”

By Victoria Wraith-Smith

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!