Never i

Shadows engulfed the wall of trees beside the sloping path; forming supernatural illusions to play with his mind. Slight shivers from the icy touch of the static air, were magnified with fear. Darkness always engenders fear.
Branches and leaves on standing trees swayed in response to the subtle growing winds, this causing the shadows to chase him. Stumbling along the windy path in constant fear, he kept wishing to make camp. Knowing that stopping would be certain doom, he treaded on.
Leaves falling from the trees cascading into view seemed to form a curtain, blocking his view. Pushing past the waterfall of leaves, he found himself in view of a mystic castle, surrounded in mist. The glowing lamps on the castle’s cast iron gate, enticing him to stride wearily into a new direction, towards the castle gates. Each step encouraging a wave of draining exhaustion on his fatigued body, until finally he came crashing down just in front of the solid cast iron gates.
Waking up days later, he found himself sprawled on a bed of flowers in the dimness of a room. Thinking that he must have made his way into the castle before collapsing, he did not question where he was. Moving gradually towards the surrounding walls, he soon was entranced with their intricate carvings. His fine finger tips followed each indent, intrigued with the wave-like texture of each symbol.
He hesitated, his fingers suddenly suspicious of the movement of the smooth surface. Each character that had been carefully traced by willing fingers, unexpectedly leapt for into a golden brilliance. His eyes soon grew accustomed to the harsh brightness and could just make out a message:
“No sentiment or thought can stir me,
Nothing can touch me at all,
For mine is no longer soaring-
Mine neither the heights nor the fall.
I walk on a plain that is barren-
No mountain or hill marks my way.
No sunlight or darkness enfolds me-
Just limitless shadows of grew.
I long for the fires to burn me,
I yearn for the ice and the knives.
I wish I could once more feel,
The passions that quicken our lives.
Yet only when I beside you,
Can I feel any emotion again.
It’s only your kiss that moves me
Restoring both pleasure and pain”

He turned swiftly, his eyes dancing around the room, searching. The dimness seemed to conceal the secrets of the room. In the same instant, the golden brilliance darted around the room, bringing to life wooden torches. Flames providing just enough light to reveal the hidden treasures of the room.
Flowers lined the marble floor, parted in the middle with a golden path leading to a crystal case in the centre of the room. The flickering flames causing shadows to kiss the face of the flowers, forming ripples like a sea.
The golden path circled the crystal case, a treasure far greater than any rose encased within. Flowers in hand, eyes closed softly, all would think dead if not for the rise and fall of her chest. White silk covered the smoothness of her snow-white skin, a princess for certain.
He stepped towards her, eyes wide with wonderment. Her beauty, sweeping away his suspicion. He reached out towards the crystal case, finding it melted away with his touch.
The words of the message came flooding back into his mind. Each line forming a new meaning to him:
“Yet only when I am beside you,
Can I feel any emotion again”
He stepped forward, wanting to be closer to her. She was the most beautiful creature he had ever laid eyes on. His breath caught in his throat.
It’s only your kiss that moves me
His lips met hers with ease, the tenderness surprising. With that, he came crashing down onto the flower lined floor, blood running from his lips.
Once again, the crystal case surrounded the princess. Her beauty preserved, with no sign of her recent fatal kiss, her beauty magnified. The torches surrounding burned brighter, forcing the shadows to flee, revealing the writing on the path:
“Soon comes the day all shall be free,
Even you and even me
Soon comes the day all shall die,
Surely you, never I”
Shadows crept forth into the room, the torches dimming in response. The witch walked along the path, gold turning into ash black with each step. She walked past the body on the floor, neither slowing, nor showing sympathy on her deformed face.
She reached out towards the crystal case, yet she could not pass it. A cackle leapt from the throat of the witch’s throat.
“Crystal shall not protect thy beauty”
The blackness of her eyes scanned the smooth, cold surface of the crystal. Her fingers absorbed the texture of the case, until movement of the beauty caught the witch’s eye.
“You cannot live forever, I shall have your beauty soon and you will die”
The beautiful creature in the crystal case began to stir. The crystal case melted away, then in one rapid movement the beauty was sitting up, her hand to the witch’s throat. After the struggle, the witch’s limbs went limp, life flowing out of her. The Princess once again lay in her crystal case, awaiting her next victim.
“Surely You, Never I”




FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!