Nerves



This is it, my first day of high school.
I’m so nervous I feel like a deer in head lights. I don’t know any one there. I’ll be torn to shreds; they’ll mop up the floors with me!
“Mum do I have to go” I groaned.
“Jordan if you’re nervous don’t be. Just think of the friends you’ll make and the challenges you’ll face.”
Yeah mum’s right I guess.

“Let’s go sweetie we don’t want to be late.”
“Mum you know I don’t want you calling me that.”
“Alright honey buns.”
When we went in the car driving to my new high school
my heart feels as if it is in my throat. I’m worried. What happens if I don’t make any friends or if I get bullied? I feel vulnerable like a worm to a bird, like a fly to a spider. The car grinds to a halt.

I open the car door gingerly.
“Have a good day honey buns”
“MUM!” I growl.
“Ok, see you sweetie.”
As I walk through the doors I feel a weird sensation of excitement and fear.
A grade 10 supporter helps me to my class.
“My name’s Jason. What’s yours?”
“J, Jordan”
“DDDIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGG.” Echoes the school bell like a ripple in icy lake.
“Let’s get to class,” Jason mumbled.

When we arrive at my class every one looks at me. Some smile and I feel marginally better.
A tall person stepped in with a grin like an autumn sunrise.
“Good morning class. I’m Mr.Bentley. Organise your desks then we’ll have a tour of the computers. I would like to show you a new program.”
After we had a look at the program I went and sat down to have some recess.
“Hey kid, are you a new grade 7?” shouted a scruffy boy.
“Yes.”
“Well then know this and know this good that’s my seat” He said assertively.
“Yeah” bellowed a bunch of other guys. I think they represented the other half of this playground bully gang.
“Ok. I’ll get off your seat.”
“Thank you.” he said, his voice dripping with insincerity.

“He’s like that” a tall boy stooped out under the shadows.

“Hi I’m Tui.” He remarked.
“Hi Tui, so are you a grade 7 too? I thought I saw you in class” I said with intrigue.
“Yeah I am. By the way I went to primary school with that thug.”
“DDDDDDDDDIIIIINGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.”
“I’ll see you round…?”
“Jordan” I replied.
“Ok see you later then Jordan.”
Making a new friend was uplifting. It boosted my spirit of that I was sure.
After lunch I had a great time in cookery with Tui.
“Ok every one it’s home time. I hope you enjoyed your first day.”

When I hopped in the car mum said
“So honey what was your day like?”
I replied with a simple
“Alright.”
Mum demanded to know more so I told her every thing. As the hectic day unfolded through my words, I thought maybe high school life isn’t so bad.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!