The FaIr - E Discovery

Finalist in the 'Zapped! 2001' competition

Madeline was picking corn in the fields when she felt it, a small flutter on her neck. It created a feeling, an inexplicable feeling. Madeline had been so engrossed with this thought, that she dropped a scrumptious – looking corn in the mud. She crouched down to retrieve the muddy corn, when a flabbergasting picture met her eyes. A creature lay rigid on her corn. It was like a mini-person but uglier. Madeline turned to scream for help, when the creature simply rolled off the corn and sank into the mud.
Madeline was very interested and she slopped mud about until she felt a small, fragile object float into the palm of her hand.
Madeline’s feelings had changed and she was now feeling an unusual queasiness, like an ice-cold hand clenching around her heart.
The creature was dead.
Madeline sat, staring at the creature’s inert body. She had been sent to her room for dirtying her frock. She didn’t mind, Madeline needed some time to reflect on what had happened.
When Madeline had found the creature, she had also found a small piece of cloth with an ‘E’ printed on it. She had also found a tiny net, with thin wiry bits running through it.
When Madeline discovered the creature, she thought it was quite hideous. But as she looked upon its helpless body, with its delicate figure and amazingly fair hair, she thought it looked quite beautiful.
Madeline tossed and turned, not able to sleep. She had decided to let her elder brother, Gabrielle, in on the secret, for he understood Madeline well.
Next morning Madeline woke and walked swiftly to Gabrielle’s room. She waited a minute, and then knocked on his door.
“Enter,” he answered.
When Madeline entered his room he was placing his quill into its stand.
“Gabrielle,” she began. “I found a creature.”
“Tell me” he answered. But before Madeline had time to explain, he caught sight of her hand, which enclosed her creature.
“Madeline!,” Gabrielle gasped, his face turning chalk white.
“Gabrielle, I found this creature,” Madeline said opening her fist. “I just don’t know what to do!” she burbled.
Gabrielle was now dialing a number that Madeline recognized as the emergency number. “Gabrielle, no!” she screamed, full of anger. “It was quite dead, so it will harm us none! Just be reasonable and talk this through, please!,” pleaded Madeline.
“Madeline,” he began. “We could tell someone about this and make some money. We could help our parents.” Madeline was astounded. “No.” she cried. “I won’t.” Gabrielle shouted, “Madeline!” before she tripped and fell.
“Madeline, I’m sorry,” Gabrielle said as he helped her up.
“This is awkward for both of us, lets keep it between ourselves.”
Madeline nodded, relieved.
“What shall thee do with it?” Gabrielle asked.
And at that moment, three glowing creatures glided through the window.
It wasn’t until they came closer to Madeline that she recognized them as the exact same creature she had found. The only difference was, these creatures had nets on their backs, which were flapping endlessly.
The fair-haired creatures, who were all wearing the letter “E”, formed a circle around the discovered creature and began chanting words that made no sense whatsoever to the brother and sister.
Then the creature rose into the air and opened its eyes.
The fairy was alive, and through the shock of what she was seeing, Madeline felt a large amount of relief sweep over her.
The creatures were about to leave, when Gabrielle shouted, “Wait, explain please!”
One of the fairies stopped in mid – air. “I’m Flora,” she said. “Fauna was put under a spell by a tricky leprechaun. Goodbye.”
Flora turned, took hold of the weak creature and glided out of the window with the other three.
Madeline picked up the tiny net on the bed and smiled up at Gabrielle. He smiled back.
“Let us never forget the fair – haired E’s.”
And she replied, “I will never forget the fair – E’s.”
“Just one thing,” Gabrielle began, “What do you suppose a leprechaun is?”
The tiny net that Madeline had found, was proven to be a “Wing” that is an object used for “Flying.” This was also the beginning of “Magic.”
Madeline had fairy blood, which is why she was so drawn towards their presence.
The creatures are now “fairies” and it was those who kept fluttering around her neck, as Madeline had a grain of sand covered in a rain drop on her neck, which had attracted them. Nowadays it is called “Glitter” and fairies are still living this century, covered in it.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!