Changes

Finalist in the 'Zapped! 2001' competition

Crystal skipped happily along through the forest, dodging branches and balancing on rocks.
The sudden flutter of wings attracted her attention. Crystal heard a beautiful chirping sound. She looked up to see the most beautiful bird she had ever seen! As she ran towards it, her foot slipped and she plunged down a deep hole. She hit the ground, dirt flew everywhere. She wiped her eyes carefully and looked around the dark and gloomy hole.
Crystal felt very scared. As she frantically tried to find her way out, a beam of light descended down the hole. It drew nearer and the bird she had seen before suddenly appeared from within the light. It hovered momentarily before transforming into a wizard! Crystal was amazed. She stared at the old man. He had a wrinkled face and in his knotted hands, he held an old, wooden staff.
“I am Fungi, the most powerful wizard in the Universe. I have watched you every year. You have been kind to animals and deserve this poser”.
Fungi raised his staff and chanted a spell. In a puff of purple smoke, he was gone! Crystal could not believe what had just happened!
She looked up and knew that she could not make it to the top of the hole.
“If only I could dig!” she thought. At that moment, she felt a shiver pass through her body and she changed into a mole. She looked down at her sharp claws with her deep, brown eyes.
Crystal started to dig. She tunneled to the surface but as she broke through the earth, she was blinded by the light. She belonged underground.
Crystal longed to hop around. At that moment she changed again, only this time into a furry, little rabbit. She started to scamper about, dodging branches and stepping on rocks. Like she had done before, except now she was on four legs, Her long ears began to twitch. She smelt something funny. She turned to face a sly fox, which was creeping up behind her. How she wished that she could fly! Again she was transformed, this time into a white dove. Crystal soared into the air to safety.
The view was magnificent. After an hour of flying, Crystal felt hungry. She landed on a thick branch near a pond. Swarming all around her were flies. Crystal had a great idea. She made a wish and immediately began to change into a frog. Her long tongue reached out as she trapped and swallowed a delicious fly. Crystal continued, until her hunger was satisfied. Then she realised that she needed to get back to the jut, fast.
“If only I could run really fast”’ she thought.
Instantly she transformed into a sleek, spotted cheetah. She ran through clusters of branches and dodged rocks. When she reached her hut, Crystal wondered if she would keep her powers. She looked above and saw the little bird.
As it winked, her question was answered.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!