Derna's Sea

Finalist in the 'Zapped! 2001' competition

Derna felt the power surge through her body and let go, pointing her finger at the water. Transparent magic shipped around and around rapidly until an enormous spout of the cool liquid formed in front of her. She shivered violently as she saw her creation looming over her, and was tempted to release her hold of it.
“No!” she cried, completely aware of the effect should she lose control. She would not do that.
Terrified spectators huddled together, desperately hoping for the termination of this pirate fleet from the small island of Belnon. They’d been attempting these takeovers for decades now, and no mage had ever been powerful enough to put an end of their hostility. Derna’s power, unknown until now, somewhat frightened the villagers, not familiar enough with her to hold faith in her strange magic.
Derna concentrated and carefully directed the churning waterspout towards the unwitting fleet. Closing her eyes, she staggered, to be supported by a familiar touch. She couldn’t think about that now, though, for the supposedly unsuspecting flotilla seemed to have armed itself with its own mage. This one was not only maliciously aggressive, but also as powerful as Derna, and trained for this scenario. He fought back vigorously and Derna felt the waterspout returning defiantly back in her direction.
Suddenly extra strength poured into her mind and heart, rapidly replenishing her power store. It coursed through her veins and bones. Causing her skin to form tiny goose bumps and send an icy shiver down her spine. It would’ve terrified her had she not been in such a deeply involved mental situation.
The power flooded out through her outstretched fingers to the turbulent spout, forcing it to continue its original course to the Belnon fleet. It hesitated, as if confused by the conflicting powers thrown in its direction. Please, Derna pleaded silently, becoming fatigued even with her new source of power. The spout pushed boldly towards the fleet, much to the gratification of the villagers, and the water around the ships began to whip tumultuously. Roars of anger and terror emanated from crews as the spout advanced. Some dived overboard into the treacherous waters while others made idle attempts to veer their ships’ courses.
Derna shuddered as the Belnon mage made one final effort to terminate the raging spout’s collision course, but failed, mentally screaming as it collided with his ship. His mental touch faded swiftly from Derna’s mind as the vessel submerged below the turbulent waters to join its sunken fleet.
The spout disintegrated and the enraged waters once again became serene, presenting no evidence of the attempted invasion.
Derna fell limp into strong arms that supported her effortlessly. His presence was so familiar. Derna opened her eyes momentarily to be greeted by a complete stranger, yet she knew him from somewhere..
She frowned at him, blue eyes flashing, but was too tired to wonder, and frown eased into faint smile as she slipped into the world within the confines of her mind.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!