Jess The Wizard Girl

Finalist in the 'Zapped! 2001' competition

“Dad”
“Not now Jess, can’t you see I’m busy?”
“Yes…but”
“Sssshhhh” dad hissed.
I stormed off. Hi, I’m Jess and my dad is a head wizard for our city. All he cares about is work and money. Its always money this and work that and he never has time for me! I’m eleven years old and my mum died when I was just two. I can’t remember her much but I know she was very beautiful and very clever. I’m quite smart and know lots of spells and I’m learning to reverse them. My dad gave me my mum’s old Spell Book and I’m learning some of the spells in it.
I’ve had a horrible day at school and now I’m home! I go into the kitchen and sit at the table where my dad is. He has lots of papers around him and one important looking man I look over at Dad and he looks at me, I smile but he doesn’t smile back, he makes a cross expression and says “go and do your homework!” I get up and storm off. In my room I am so cross. I get out my mums Spell Book and flick through it. Aahhh, I find the spell that I want, it’s called a Light Hearted Spell and all I have to do is make a potion and give it to Dad!
Finally the potion is made and is in dad’s wine. I’m sitting at the dinner table as dad takes a drink. For a moment he looked like he was going to freak! The very important looking man looked at dad and asked him what he thought about the bus pick up.
Dad started laughing an says “lighten up Bob.”
The important looking man looked at Dad and shouted “How dare you call me by my first name, and don’t tell me to lighten up!” With that he stood up and left, slamming the door behind him.
Over the next few days many important looking men came to see dad and they all left the house slamming he door behind them. I started getting a bit worried, I thought that dad might loose his job as the head wizard because he had become so light hearted. I decided that I had to reverse this spell, even though I thought that dad was great being light hearted. I went to visit grandma who was experienced in reversing spells. Grandma made a potion but to make the potion work I first had to tell dad how I feel about him being so busy as the head wizard. I really wanted to spend more time with my dad! I took the potion home in a little bottle and put it in a safe place in my bedroom, I then went to speak to dad. We had a great chat and dad gave me the biggest hug that I have had for years. I gave dad the potion from grandma and he drank it. Dad wasn’t under the spell anymore but we were really close from that day and I’ll never forget that dad always loves me even if he doesn’t always have lots of time for me.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!