Racist World

Finalist in the 'Zapped! 2001' competition

Fire Hill was just like any other school, a small pathetic playground that all the small ones enjoyed, old rotting teachers that cared about everything other than their students and of course the group of adolescent terrors that are known for their childish acts of stupidity. Year ten (my year) have been named the worst, we all act, talk and look the same. With our dark skin and black hair, we have always stood by each other, offensive to anyone that isn’t like us. It’s strange, I always thought this was the only way to go, that is until Chell attended Fire Hill Secondary.
As soon as her pure white skin, crystal clear hair and glowing smile entered the school’s gates – every single eye darted straight at her, staring with a glowing evil glare. Before the first bell rang, the name calling and fighting began. First behind her back, and then louder and louder till each word seemed to strike her heart like a double-edged knife.
It wasn’t till my walk home past the cemetery that I thought about her again. I can still remember the shredded sound of each tear. Afraid that I would taunt her like so many of my peers had, she quickly glared at me, eyeing me off suspiciously.
“H…h..hi, I go to Fire Hill with you,” I tried to pronounce, secretly as scared as her.
A little less frightened, the two of us began a small conversation, which then led to a walk around the cemetery – describing each other’s secrets and thoughts. After finally saying goodbye I began to wonder if I had been wrong in judging people simply by how they look, instead of the sweet, mature person inside. Was she really that different?
As hard as the first day had been for Chell, the second was going to be a lot harder. Once at her locker, the group formed a semi circle around her, each one glowing with ruthlessness.
The shout of one girl “Go home” lit the fuse as quickly as expected, causing each person to scream at the top of their lungs – slowly shuffling their feet closer and closer to the terrified victim in the middle.
Like a bullet, the sight of my friends towering over the defenseless girl finally make me realize how wrong I had been. “Get off her! What do you think you are doing?” I screamed as loud as I could, scavenging through the crowd of offenders. With all my strength, I lunged at Chell with my dark red claws open, covering her from the beatings of my fellow dark demons.
With the sudden rush of her wings, Chell began to float in the air, carrying us both. While ascending into the distance, I could vaguely hear her whisper, “Thank you…..so many demons are afraid of us angels – at least one isn’t afraid of what’s different.
Waving my tail and grinning with my fangs, I suddenly felt happier that I had ever been before I died.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!