Toad Troubles

Finalist in the 'Zapped! 2001' competition

Lucy’s hands trembled as she struck a match, and then carefully lit her bundle of twigs and dry leaves. She watched the flames steadily grow, and felt an intense heat rise up through the air. When she felt she was ready, Lucy began chanting the words she had memorized so well: “Isis Astarte, Diana Hecate, Demeter Kali Innana, Isis Astarte…” These words were to raise power, but Lucy didn’t think about them. Instead she allowed her thoughts to drift back to all the things that compelled her to do this spell…
“Ha ha ha.”
The girl’s cruel laughs echoed through Lucy’s brain, getting louder and louder, until…It was pet day at Temilicans all girls school. All the other girls had pretty ponies doing ballet, fancy poodles strutting around with their pink bows, and what was basically a contest for the most expensive or fashionable pet. So you’ll understand the complete silence that spread through the school when Lucy entered with her tank. Which contained a particularly ugly toad. The ear-piercing silence was broken by a few small shrieks, and Courtney Bridle’s snobby voice, “Well well, I never expected to see a living thing with more warts than our Lucy Morady,”
Poor Lucy frantically tried to hide her acne covered face with her straight red hair, but Courtney wasn’t finished yet. “Poor toad, why don’t you let it out for, say,” she looked around the group, “a game of golf, maybe?”
To Courtney’s satisfaction that stirred up a few giggles, but Lucy just tightened her grip on Freddy’s (the toad’s) tank. Of course, it was Angela Burton’s remark that had hurt the most, “ Too bad you can’t take a toad to the prom, looks like you’ll be the only girl without a date!.
But she was wrong, thought Lucy smugly, as she threw a few more blocks of wood onto the fire. When the tingling in her fingertips felt just right, Lucy stopped chanting, and stroked Freddie thoughtfully.
Then Lucy cast circle (inviting Sylphs, Dwarfs, Salamanders and mermaids into a protective circle.)
“Come here, little Freddie,” Lucy cooed.
“You’re soon to be a prince. Literally.”
So, high above her head Lucy held frightened Freddy, and prepared for the spell. Won’t those girls be surprised when I enter the prom with a prince…Lucy snapped back to attention.
“To make this darling prince of mine,
Ivy, basil,, jasmine: intertwine!”
She watched the plants twist and twirl together.
“This prince will come from the toad above,
And on thyself he’ll feed his love!”
With that, Lucy bent down with Freddy, and placed the garland on his head. Then, grimacing slightly, she planted a kiss on the toad.
The earth trembled, there was a flash of light, and…BANG!!!
Before Lucy stood a handsome prince, but he seemed to be very tall, Somewhat embarrassed, she looked down at her feet, and saw toad’s feet! Lucy tried to shriek, but it came out as an annoyed croak!
What have I done? Lucy thought, but her wonder was taken over by an urge to eat flies.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!