Tiny But Mighty

Finalist in the 'Zapped! 2001' competition

Once there was a tiny, lonesome wombat. He was so tiny that whenever his teacher looked at him, she had to move her dark spectacles down lower that ever. The wombat was called “Scwert”.
Scwert lived with his parents in a tiny ragged cave, covered with dust and dirt. His house looked like a pile of smelly, rotten compost. Around it stood rocks piled up so high, that to Scwert they were touching the hot, sparkling sun.
Everyday Scwert grabbed his tattered books and squeezed through a tiny hole in the rock pile and waddled to school. On this particular morning he tried to squeeze through the tiny hole, when suddenly all the rocks came tumbling down on top of him. To his surprise he began falling down a huge hole, that seemed blacker than a piece of dirty coal held in a big wrinkly hand. Finally he landed with a bump.
Scwert looked around. He was in an enormous rambling cave, filled with cobwebs and spiders. Staircases creaked as loud as elephants trumpeting. Everything was covered in dust and dirt. That did not bother Scwert, because that’s what his house looked like. Scwert climbed the old tattered stairs, wondering what would happen next. He slipped, and to his amazement he landed on something very hard and sharp. It was a glittering stone. Not just any old stone but a beautiful shiny diamond. He rubbed his eyes with his little fat paws and saw an amazing sight. Sapphires shimmered in the sun. Necklaces, bracelets, crowns built of gold and a sword covered in emeralds lay around him. As he carefully stepped over the jewels a puff of dust came up from his tiny paw.
Before Scwert could take another step, a blinding flash of light brightened the room and a scary voice spoke. “I am the Wizard of Adventures. Choose a room for yourself. If you choose wrong, you will die.” Scwert did not like the sound of this, so he quickly chose the room with cobwebs and spiders. The wizard spoke again. “Your choice is wise, I now know that you are not the selfish wombat that lives at the palace. I will take you home.”
The magician reached down through the light with his big, crinkly hand and long pointed fingernails and lifted Scwert up so high that he seemed to be higher than heaven. Scwert felt like he was flying. The magician let go of little Scwert and flew off into the darkness.. Scwert drifted through soft, fluffy clouds. Eventually he landed on his bed.
Scwert woke up to his parents dancing around the room. His mother said “Oh Scwert, you’re back. We were so worried about you.” Scwert just yawned. He rolled out of bed and just as he did, a small green emerald fell out of his pocket. “We’re rich” shouted his father.
“Hooray!!!!” said his mother.
Scwert just smiled to himself. Tiny but mighty he thought.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!