Wings

Finalist in the 'Zapped! 2001' competition

I stare at the boxes shadow so sharp under the light so alone and beautiful in it’s own way but I couldn’t touch it, I would wreck it’s beauty.
Tia, that’s me it’s not much of a name, I have a life but it’s not much of a life.
My mum committed suicide when I had more of a life, but all she left me was a Box that I couldn’t touch because my Dad wouldn’t let me. Anyway it’s too beautiful for my fingers to touch, but that was about to change in exactly one hour and three seconds.
One more minute and it would be midnight I don’t know why I chose this time to see what was under the tightly closed cover. I took a deep breath, I opened it all that was in it was a ring and a note. The note was scrawled messily on a piece of paper it had the words “come now” on it. The ring was gold with a picture of an angel on it I slipped it on my finger it fitted perfectly I slipped the note in my pocket and went to bed confused and baffled.
That night I had the strangest dream I’d ever had before I dreamt that my mother was jumping off the cliff down near the beach. She had the ring on her finger when she jumped off. My mum grew wings, wings just like the angel. Then I noticed something, the wings that the angel had were gone, I knew this dream meant something but I didn’t know what it meant.
I have been having this dream for three days now since I put the ring on my finger. I am so amazed how beautiful the ring is but the angel looks so sad she sort of looks like …. Mum!
“Tia” oh no Dad’s coming. He entered “Tia what are you doing with that ring?”
The ring was burning hot on my finger there was only three words in my head run, quick, now! I bolded out of the room I was going to the cliff. I woke.
Finally I got it all these years I had been meant to fly but dad had stopped it. I was going to the cliff. I was going to be with mum forever. The ring was burning hot on my finger, hotter than ever. The wind blew hard against my face. My heart thumped. I jumped! There were pains in my back – stabbing pains. The angel was smiling on the ring but she had no wings.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!