Melissa's Discovery

Finalist in the '2001/2002 Schools Short Story Competition - Magic and Mystery Theme' competition

“…All passengers please fasten your seat belts and prepare for landing.”
The sound of the pilot’s voice woke Melissa in a second. She was eleven years old and it was her first time out of her home state, South Dakota. She and the rest of her family were going to Hawaii for two weeks of summer vacation to visit her cousin Katelyn and Aunt Rosanna. Her nine-year-old brother Joshua and fifteen-year-old sister Katrina were excitedly packing their carry on bags. Melissa’s mind screamed with excitement and wonderful ideas of what Hawaii would be like.
She looked out the window and saw a beautiful sandy beach, palm trees swaying in the warm breeze, and a beautiful blue sky above them. Below them was a blue ocean and up in the sky was a bright hot sun shining down on tanners on the beach. It looked like a perfect paradise.
After they got off the plane Melissa rushed to meet her cousin Katelyn. When the were all settled at the house Katelyn and Melissa went off exploring. About two minutes down the beach Melissa turned and asked “What is that?” “That’s Coconut Cave,” Katelyn answered, “Want to check it out?”
The cave was roomy inside and had lots of hidden corners. While Melissa was sifting her hands through the sand she was jabbed by something sharp. She looked down and saw a beautiful gold comb. It was sort of heavy.
Melissa decided to keep her discovery a secret. There was something about it that made it extraordinary. Just then Katrina came running down the beach yelling “Melissa, Katelyn, time to eat.” In her haste Melissa shoved the gold comb behind a rock.
That night, after supper Melissa and Katelyn were relaxing on the porch watching the sun set. Melissa had the desire to go back to the cave. She suddenly sat up and asked “Katelyn can we go back to Coconut Cave? Quickly?” “Now?” Katelyn asked. “I guess we could go quickly.”
They got up and ran down the beach. When the got to the cave Melissa crawled into the spot where she hid the comb. But to her horror it was gone! Melissa gasped. “What!” Katelyn asked. “Nothing,” Melissa answered. “It’s getting dark,” Katelyn said, “We should go.”
That night Melissa lay awake. She could not believe the comb was gone. To her own shock she tiptoed out of bed and to the cave. To her surprise she saw a mermaid in the cave! “I…I’m Veronica,” the mermaid said. Still staring in disbelief Melissa answered, “I’m Melissa. I found that comb.”
Just as she was about to leave the cave Veronica whispered, “Please don’t tell anyone about me.”
The last night of her vacation in Hawaii Melissa went to the cave. There she saw Veronica’s necklace on the ground. Next to it was dry blood. Veronica was gone. Melissa tried not to cry. Maybe she escaped Melissa thought. But the truth about Veronica would remain a mystery forever.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!