Murder At Mt Vernon

Finalist in the '2001/2002 Schools Short Story Competition - Magic and Mystery Theme' competition

I was in bed after dark in the 2nd year of the War where the Colonies fought the British for freedom. I was at my friend David Washington’s house for a sleep over. I had gotten up to get a drink of water, for some reason I looked out of the window, and there it was, a figure holding a knife above another figures head. I quickly turned away but still heard the screams of pain. The next morning I found out that a slave was killed.
My name is John Davidson. I’m a neighbor and friend of George Washington’s son David. For some money, David and I might shine shoes, help in George Washington’s garden, we might even trap animals then skin them and sell the pelts plus if the meat is good we eat it. I’m eight and a half years old.
I had been searching around after school for the murderer since nobody knew who or where he was. I know George Washington’s land better than he does. One day when I was searching, I heard talking in a cave. I listened and this is what I heard, “you foolish spies, think a boy knows my secrecy” a voice roared as if he were a steam engine starting up. “Now listen, if you think a little boy can stop me, you’re nuts. I’m a great British soldier, and I’m going to kill key people like George Washington, understand?” I had just sat down to do my homework when a spy said, “Sir, I hear something!”
I quickly grabbed my homework and ran for my life. They started running after me. Out of the corner of my eye I saw the murderer drop his red coat. I took advantage of that moment, I got out my slingshot then started running again. I heard the spies and the murderer behind me. I lifted my slingshot, grabbed a rock and shot it. I saw a spy fall. Then the other spy and the murderer carried him off. As soon as I got home, I told everything I heard, saw, and did. Nobody believed me. So the next day David and I crept to the same cave I had been to the night before. And we found the murderer’s coat. It had a blood stain on it. Everybody believed us now. The Colonies sent out a group of soldiers to catch the murderer and his spy. The other spy was killed. Two weeks later they came back with the spy and murderer in chains. I felt pride and joy.
When the war ended, I went to an award dinner. I was excited! I won a gold medal and 10 dollars for bravery! That’s worth 100 pelts! I have got to go to David’s house for a sleep over now. But I assure you, I won’t get a drink and look out the window.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!