One Wild Ride

Finalist in the '2001/2002 Schools Short Story Competition - Magic and Mystery Theme' competition

It was a cold, dark, humid night. I was on my four wheeler, going through the swamp and the mosquitoes were taking large chunks out of my face and arms. Suddenly, I saw a giant black creature run in between two trees. It was as fast as a racehorse. Throwing caution to the wind I followed it to its hut.
The hut was huge. It had a smell like rotten eggs or rotting flesh. Inside there were about thirty monsters. I had never heard their language before and could not understand any of it. One monster looked like the chief as he had a big branch painted bright red. I felt like going in to try and communicate with them.
All of a sudden my feet are moving and I find myself making my way down to them. The branches from the trees are scraping my face and body but I can’t seem to stop myself. My heart is telling me not to go, but my head is making me move closer to them. I get down to where they are standing and suddenly felt a jolt like a bee sting. I had been shot. I felt myself slipping away, away, away.
When I finally woke up, all I could see where the ugly monster heads looking at me, and prodding me with their paws.
“Ahhhh,” I screamed.
At my shout, they jumped back in surprise. I stood up and looked around. I seemed to be in one of their huts. I tried to find where the door was and tried to make a run for it. About five feet from the door, I was suddenly jerked back. I realized I was tied to a huge cast iron block. Again, I looked around, this time to see where my four wheeler was. Looking through a crack in the wall, I saw it sitting by itself. I decided just to be quiet and wait until they left.
Leaving me alone at last, I had time to think about escaping. Out of the corner of my eye I saw an axe lying in the corner of the hut. I managed to get it and started to chisel away at the chain. After an hour or so the chain broke and I made a run for it. I got outside and started up my four wheeler.
After the engine fired u, I went as fast as I could. I could hear something behind me but was not brave enough to look back. I kept going as fast as I could. Thankfully, my house cam into view and I stopped the four wheeler. I ran inside, locked the door, and sat down. Jerking suddenly, I awoke, and realized that it was all a scary dream. I had no mosquito bites or branch scrapes on my body, and I was safe and sound in my own bed.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!