Taken Away

Finalist in the '2001/2002 Schools Short Story Competition - Magic and Mystery Theme' competition

I was in a white room, one that I had never been in before. There was a large crowd of people, my family included, huddled around a lifeless body.
I inched closer to the body and saw someone very familiar; myself.
At once I felt my head spin, and then I reached for the nearest tangible thing. But my hand passed right through it. I stared at my hand in disbelief.
“It’s always a shock for people at first.”
The voice out of nowhere startled me, and I jumped and turned. A man dressed in black pants and a black shirt with a floor-length black jacket was standing there. “Who are you?” I managed to squeak out.
“I’m an angel. Your angel.”
“My angel? Right. Cause all angels wear black.” Amazing how my smart mouth carried over with me.
“Only while I’m in my human form. Once we reach Heaven, I change back. In fact, so will you.”
“Listen, I’m new to this whole being dead thing. Care to explain?”
“It’s quite simple Mary.”
“My name is Carli, not Mary.”
“Dear sweet innocent, you have much to learn before the journey.”
“Journey?” This guy was scaring more and more by the minute.
“In Heaven, everyone is called the same name so that no person is superior to the other. Except for God, of course.”
“Of Course.”
“It’s always a tragedy to bring a young one with me. Such a sadness is left behind.”
“Then why are you taking me?” It seemed unfair to not only him, but to me if he had to take me.
“It was your time. Now you get to live in paradise.”
“What’s it like?” Paradise didn’t sound too bad. Maybe there would be chocolate everywhere, and lots and lots of sunlight.
“Indescribable. You’re transformed to an almost airy state, like a spirit. You exist, yet you don’t. Do you follow? There is so much that I can’t explain; that you must experience firsthand.”
He held out his hand for me, and somehow I knew that he would lead me away from this horrible world.
Before taking his hand, I turned and looked at my family for the last time. They were standing over my lifeless body, crying. I knew that they would be in such turmoil with their grief, but I knew that I couldn’t help but go. Somehow, I knew that I was going to be happy. It was time.
I walked over to my mum, and I gave her a kiss. But my lips didn’t touch her cheek, they passed right through her. I knew that she could feel it, and that she would know that I was saying goodbye to her until she came to be with me.
At last I took my angel’s hand, and he smiled gently at me. There was something about his smile that reminded me of my mother’s. I knew that everything would be fine. A bright light filled up the room, and I was taken away.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!