A Change Comes Over Greenesville

Finalist in the '2001/2002 Schools Short Story Competition - Magic and Mystery Theme' competition

Greeneville wasn’t a very well known town. The townspeople were bound by tradition, and resisted anything out of the ordinary. They were not welcoming to new residents arriving. Greeneville functioned peacefully, away from the rest of society, for many years. Most citizens felt it was because of the superb leadership by their mayor. That all changed, however, when someone new, someone alien, moved into town.
Gwen Peters came to Greeneville on a clear, summer day. It was obvious that she was unwanted by the villagers because of the strange looks shot at her. Gwen knew she wasn’t like the others. While they dressed in pastel colors and wore buckled shoes, she liked to wear black tones with high-heeled boots. Many people believed Gwen was a bearer of evil and familiar with black magic. Though no one had ever spoken to Gwen for any length of time, they were sure she was summoning the devil into their tranquil town.
Soon, the townspeople made it known that Gwen Peters could not stay in Greeneville. They planned exactly how they would force her departure, but just as they prepared to hatch their plot, something horrifying happened. Their beloved mayor had been hospitalized with a mysterious disease. This had never happened before. Surely, it had to have been the work of Gwen Peters. While the townspeople couldn’t stand even the thought of the wretched woman living within their town walls, they had to interrupt their meetings to take care of their dying mayor. The doctors reported each day that he was sinking deeper and deeper into the hands of death. The townspeople despaired, wishing for one last goodbye to the man who had kept their town running smoothly for so many years.
At last, the doctors agreed to let each person have a final valediction. Hundreds of people waited in line. Shortly before sunset, a dark figure appeared in the back of the line. It was Gwen! The townspeople were outraged. This wicked creature may have already sucked the life out of the mayor, did she have mock his suffering as well? Despite the wishes of many, the townspeople could do nothing to turn away this immoral woman. Silently, Gwen waited until her turn came.
Gwen only spent a few minutes with the major, and quietly left when she was finished. Almost immediately after her departure, the townspeople heard something coming from the mayor’s room. The nurses reported that a miracle had occurred. The mayor’s disease was gone, and he suddenly appeared to be in the best shape of his life. They believed it was an unexplainable occurrence that happened almost instantly after Gwen had left. It was then that everyone realized Gwen wasn’t evil. Their beliefs about her were rooted in fear, but in truth, her heart was no different than theirs. Many sprinted to find her, to thank her, to apologize, but when they reached her home, all that was left was a note. It read, “People of Greeneville, change is good.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!