The Others

Finalist in the '2001/2002 Schools Short Story Competition - Magic and Mystery Theme' competition

They were everywhere. Surrounding you wherever you went and there was no place you could ever go to find sanctuary. For they had had their lives enveloped by these strange creatures but never had the courage to face them or confront them. They didn’t even have the courage to believe. I say it’s because when people are scared of something it is easier for them to turn their back on it than to overcome it. When you turn your back on something like it is gone for as long as you choose it to be but it will always remain imprinted in the back of your minds. This is irrelevant to the facts but only because I wasn’t like anyone else. I was special. Not the kind of special that your own mother could call you but the kind of special that means you have something that nobody will ever have nor ever try to understand. I was special in this way because I could see them.
They were surrounding the world, why couldn’t anyone else see them? At first, I thought I was crazy but know I know it’s not me but them. I have the ability to see the people who were living in the shadows of the better man. The man who has been given repeated amounts of chances in his life. The man who has done so much but can’t get past a certain point. These figures, that only I can see, are the people that can help in any case endevor.
Do you ever have the feeling you can never accomplish something or shouldn’t ever try because you know you will fall short? These beliefs exist in every one of their lives and now I understand why these people are here and why I can only see them. I can see them because I am always conscious of them, knowing that they are behind me and helping me through the way. They are people that have lived their lives and now are sent to help them live theirs. I know these people and can see them because I am one of them and I am with you. Always will I be their lending and guiding you through your most troubled moments of sorrow or belief that you are not good enough. I am your courage, your angel and with me you will never fall short.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!