The Fire In The Night

Finalist in the '2001/2002 Schools Short Story Competition - Magic and Mystery Theme' competition

A small fire flickered in the dense forest like a lone star in the night sky. The light from the flame reflected on the face of the elven prince. He stared harshly at the three young maidens in dark cloaks, like shrouded figures headed for the grave.
“My Master,” the first maiden spoke, “it is all as though hast desired. May thou find favor among thy faithful subjects. For the dawn of an age cometh while the world yet sleepeth.” And as quickly as they had appeared they were absorbed by shadows far beyond the reach of the fire’s light.
Not more than time for five breaths had passed when a figure formed from the shadows wearing the same grievous clothing. The prince squelched a cry rising from the back of his throat. The hood was thrown back in an instant. A cascade of long black hair as dark as the night flowed down the sides of the face. A thick weatherworn beard covered the darkly tanned skin. A prominent nose protruded between two eerie eyes, one a deep green the other, a blood-like crimson.
The elf’s face had gone completely pale. His mind raced with thoughts of the face. Things he would never forget after the thirty-nine hard years of torture and labor, of violence of pain, and fear and terror. This was the road traveled by so many before him and so many to follow. He was not the first controlled by this evil warlock. He was only a pawn in the mind of Mawrink of the North. And in the mind of the elf it was about to end…
“Tell me of thy comings and goings,” The voice harshly boomed across the flames. “It has been nearly two years since thy last report.” “I am afraid that thou mayest not have what thou desire.” The seemingly small elven voice carried no weight to that of Mawrink’s. A small bit of courage began to build in his heart. But this sudden change in the elf’s behavoir was not pleasing to the dark figure. The warlock hesitated for only a moment, for his mind was made up…
As the sun peeked over the Talifain Mountains a thin column of smoke curled up out of the green forest. A body lay slumped beside a smoldering pile of ashes. On a rocky crag across the valley a cloaked figure peered at the smoke. Two falcons began to circle around the small clearing. One hawk peered toward the cloaked figure as he saw a small glint of red reflected sunlight.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!