Now & Then

5th in the 'Zapped! 2001' competition

They say this museum is one hundred years old. Wow, Edmund Barton was Australia’s Prime Minister back then. As I opened the door of the old building I feel a gust of cool air. The smell of the polished floor boards make you feel as if you were back 100 years. There are all these really exquisite paintings and tiling throughout the beautiful building. I walked over to the large display called “Now and Then”. A display of how life was a century ago in Australia. I look into the black and white photograph. Suddenly swirls of black, white, then grey colour whizzed about me. I feel like I’m rising into another place. This wasn’t a daydream.
I hit the dusty ground like a tonne of bricks. My head hurts like you wouldn’t believe and I’m very confused.
“Where am I?” I scream not knowing the power of my voice.
“Young lady stop yelling. You know perfectly well where you are,” said a stern looking woman. I don’t get scared of many things but I’m scared of this woman. Everyone was wearing all these pretty dresses we only read about in the truly classic books. Wait, so am I. I’m wearing an elegant silk dress made from silk with lace trimmings and gloves only fit for a queen.
There was a young boy at the corner yelling something about the decision on Prime Minister is Final! The street went into a frenzy and everyone started grabbing papers. I walked up and took the last one left in the boy’s hand. The front page read, “The final decision has been laid, Edmund Barton is to be our Prime Minister for the year 1901.” Year 1901? I have gone back 100 years.
I might as well make the most of it. The magic that brought me here will surely take me home when it’s ready.
Everything is as beautiful as my clothing. One place catches my eye. Something’s familiar about this building. I slowly walk up the steps trying not to fall on my dress. I open the carved, brown, wooded doors. They are about 8 foot high and feel as though they lead to a chamber. There was a man at the door who asked for my admission fee. “That will be two shillings,” he said in a friendly salesman kind of voice. I fished a handful of coins from my pocket and emptied them in his hand and keep walking.
Something stabbed me as I looked around. I walked over to the picture that caught my eye most of all. It was called “The Future”. As I stared into the colours, the people all jumped out at me and I felt like they were taking me away from this beautiful time. I felt that very same flying feeling.
We have come a long way in 100 years!

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!