Coconuts

2nd in the 'Zapped! 2001' competition

“I’ve got a lovely bunch of coconuts…”
I wasn’t always in this place. I used to run; the wind in my face, the sand between my toes. My breath would come in short gasps, as I would bolt to catch up to him. He ran fast but I would eventually catch him, tackling him on the soft sand.
Those were the days when I felt free of constraints, where I would pin him to the ground. I would gaze into his eyes, our minds as one. Instantly my lips would meet his, our mouths melding as one.
I refused to ever let him leave my side. I promised myself that I would never lose my love.
Until one day.
“There they are a standing in a row…”
I wasn’t always in this place. I used to drive. From Melbourne I would drive to Sydney, just to be with him. It was a long tiring time but I maintained my concentration long enough to get to his house. Once there we would enjoy our time together and I would sleep fitfully. But as I drove I thought of only the road and what I was driving to, my lover; my soul mate, my everything.
Not a day went past when I didn’t think about him. I would call his name in my sleep when we were away from each other. When unable to sleep I would pack my suitcase and get into the car off to his place. It was an arduous journey but I would fight the fatigue and battle on. Just to see my love was enough.
I would call him on my mobile, connecting in to the hands-free set that was in my car for that reason. We would talk as I drove; he would keep me awake with his stories about his days of unrest. His voice kept me awake, unsaid promises in his tone.
No matter what he said I would never speed, play chicken, or overtake someone in a dangerous situation. It didn’t matter what he promised me for driving faster. I wouldn’t risk my life just for losing control.
At times, when he needed to come down to Melbourne I would drive him down, just to spend a few days together. During those trips back he would make suggestions that were more than deliciously tempting. But I regarded myself as a safe driver and kept my focus on the road. I would not cause an accident from my lack of concentration.
Until one day.
“There they are a standing in a row…”
I wasn’t always in this place. Until one day. I remember driving him to Melbourne.
His suggestion.
My control snapping.
The truck.
The crash.
The blood.
Death.
“Big ones, small ones…”
The padded walls around me are red, red with his blood. Dead is his mind and body. Dead is my mind but not my body. No yet.
“Some as big as your head…”
I never used to be in this place…

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!