War

Artillery shells screamed down, exploding a few metres away from our foxhole. Clumps of dirt and rocks clattered off our helmets. This is war at it’s worse.

“Corporal!” barked Sarge, “send a message to Fox B Company, the counter-attack had started!” I leaped out of the foxhole and sprinted towards the communications bunker. Bullets whistled past me, with several ricocheting off my helmet.
I burst through the door of the bunker, only to find to the occupants dead! I quickly tuned the radio into Fox B’s frequency.
“Come in Fox B, come in. The counter-attack has started, repeat, the counter-attack has…”
At that moment a bullet whined into the bunker and smashed into the radio, rendering it completely unserviceable. “Arrrrrgh…” I groaned and with that I sprinted out of the bunker and towards the foxhole.
I found the foxhole in a bad state. Spent bullets covered the mud at the bottom and there was a dead enemy with a bayonet in his neck hanging over the edge, bleeding. Worse still, Sarge was leaning up against a side of the foxhole with a bullet wound in his shoulder.
“Corporal,” rasped Sarge, “leave me here, you’ve gotta retreat back to the trench!”
“No sir,” I said defiantly, “I’m gonna give you medical attention, then I’m gonna defend you until Fox B arrives!”
“Leave me here!” replied Sarge, “That’s an order!”
“Court martial me then sir, I choose to disobey that order!”
I quickly grabbed some coagulant and field dressings, and I administered the coagulant to Sarge then applied pressure to the wound and wound it in the dressings.
I searched for some ammo and upon finding an ammo belt for the machine gun, I slammed it into the blood-slick machine gun at the front of the foxhole. Upon pulling the cocking lever back, I took up a firing position, squeezed the trigger and the gun rattled out a storm of metal death.
Several advancing enemies fell in the distance, letting out a cry of pain as they crumpled over. I continued to fire until I ran out of ammo, I then pulled out my rifle and sighted in.
Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Four less enemies to worry about.
As I attempted to sight in again, a bullet smashed the rifle from my hands. I drew my sidearm, sat on an empty ammo crate and waited for death to come so I could shoot it in the face.

It was about this time when I became aware of a rumbling in the distance. I peeked out of the foxhole to see a tank charging towards me! I searched vainly for some grenades to use when I heard an explosion. I looked out of the foxhole to see the tank burning!
I looked behind me to see Fox B Company’s tanks and armoured personnel carriers.
“Hey! Over here!” I shouted, “I need a medic!” I knelt down to Sarge, “Sir, Fox B have arrived, you’re gonna be on your feet in no time!”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!