Tamara, The Snake And The Sewer

TAMARA, THE SNAKE AND THE SEWER

“SSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!”
I almost froze with fear. Slowly, I swivelled around on the balls of my feet only to find myself faced with my enemy….

I STILL can’t believe I missed out on Tiffany’s birthday bash! It seemed impossible that only this morning I was screaming out to Mum, asking where the sticky tape was. Now I’m in a stinking sewer.

I’m Tamara. This morning I was on my way to Tiff’s house for her birthday sleepover. Mary-Jane, Lauren and Cara were going to be there too.

Rushing to get there I accidentally flushed my friend’s present down the toilet. Luckily it was waterproof –and neon orange. So… being a good friend, I came down through the man-hole near my house and entered the sewer. Even before I stepped down to the slippery ladder a smell worse than rotten eggs filled my nostrils.

Slowly, I climbed down the ladder and marched through knee-deep water with my pocket sized torch. My phobia of snakes came rushing back –I’m TERRIFIED of snakes of any sort. “Aren’t there supposed to be snakes in the sewer? Lurking around, waiting to…” I stopped, shuddering. Maybe it wasn’t the best idea to go into the sewer but I didn’t have time to buy Tiff another present.

Then I saw it! A bright, neon orange compact!! Only… it was floating away from me. I groaned and began to chase after it.

Finally I managed to catch up with it. Gasping for breath, I snatched it up. That’s when I heard it.

I stood paralysed in fear feeling as if my knees were rooted on the spot. I heard it again.
“SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS…”
It was a water snake. My stomach churned as I nearly lost my breakfast.

I stood as still as a statue hoping the snake would pass me before I passed out. As I came to, it stared fiercely at me and my heart pounded a mile a minute.

It had a diamond shaped pattern on its cold, slimy back. Giving me one last cold look he slithered away. To my utmost horror I saw it was joined by 20 or more of its kind.

That’s when I bolted. Once I found the right man hole I scrambled up the ladder and heaved the heavy lid off. Joy was seeping through me as I sprinted home knowing I was back in my secure neighbourhood.

When I walked through our front door Mum started screaming at me for leaving the house without letting her know and for smelling so rotten. “Don’t you dare….”, she screeched.

Tiff didn’t want her present. I was grounded for a month. Some mornings, I think you’re best off staying in bed!!


FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!