Katy Salisbury

Katy Salisbury sighed and looked out her bedroom window, fingering her necklace; it had been 12 months since she had come back from France and even longer since she had last seen Pierre-Michel though she still thought of him every day. She thought of his short, crisp black hair and his eyes, deep brown, warm, full of humour and keenly alive. She looked down at the silver sea horse with the emerald eye and remembered fondly their last moments together. Pierre-Michel had helped her in many ways while she was in Breton, he taught her how to swim, sail, but most importantly he taught her how not to be shy.

Before she had left for France she had been a lonely girl, by rights she should have been one of the leaders of her class, for she was both pretty and bright but she had never really managed to fit in. She had waited in vain for the invitation to join them. Finally she had begun to think that there was something seriously wrong with her. But what Katy really lacked was the will to try and join in, she had somehow become arrested in the idea that she must wait for those around her to invite her to join in. She would join in by invitation only.

Since her trip Katy had changed tremendously, no longer was she the shy girl in the corner. She was now the class leader and most of the kids were her friends. She now had all the friends she ever wanted, but she still longed to see Pierre-Michel again, she felt a part of her was missing, that she was un-whole with out him. She sighed again and stood up. She looked around at the familiar walls of her room and remembered the apprehension she had first felt towards leaving. She was chuckling to herself about this when her brother, called her from down stairs,
“Come on Katy, Aunt Caroline is waiting!”
“I’m coming, I’m coming” she replied.

Aunt Caroline had just got back from another one of her overseas trips, although she had been very mysterious about where she was going. Unlike every other trip, where she had told everyone she met where she was going, how long she would be gone and when she would be back. This time she had just said, “I’m going someplace wonderful and I will bring you all something back”, she had said this last bit looking directly and Katy. Also, on this trip she hadn’t appeared to have taken anyone with her, except, of course, her beloved dog Keeno.


Katy thought this over as she came down the stairs; she still hadn’t worked out where Aunt Caroline had gone or why she had taken anyone with her. She had thought for a while it was because she wanted to bring someone back but had dismissed that idea for the thought that she only wanted to be on her own for one holiday. As she walked into the living room she saw her family sitting, waiting for her. She saw her Aunt Caroline, her mother and her three adoring older brothers. As she looked she became aware of someone standing in the corner. He had short, crisp black hair and his eyes were deep brown, warm, full of humour and keenly alive.
“Pierre-Michel?”
“Oui Katy, it is I”
Katy ran to him, his arms opened wide and they embraced each other. As Katy looked into his eyes, she knew that, until he had to go back to France, she wouldn’t feel un-whole again.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!