Waiting For You

The steady heart monitor beeped, indefatigably, every couple of seconds. The sound dispersed through the silent, lime-green walled room, and was only absorbed by the maroon velvet curtains and the sterile mahogany carpet. The slight fragrance of the early blooming roses outside entered the room, with the cool breeze, and stirred with the strong scent of medicine and hand wash. Maeve’s tired grey eyes opened slowly at the soft scent that brought deliciously warm memories; tenderly tantalising her mind.
Maeve gazed at the green wall, heard the machine beep and knew too well where she was. But she couldn’t recall how she had ended up here for the sixth time this year. Soon, she knew, Elise and Jack, who had children of their own, would be here terribly anxious and apprehensive. This brought displeasure to Maeve. Many, many times when they were younger she had wrapped her arms around them for the longest time, and then with a merry song or two, soothed them. It used to be so simple; good, warm memories. The monitor simply beeped.
The breeze returned and swept in the aroma of the roses, more prominent now. Maeve closed her eyes and deeply inhaled. This time the image of her husband came to mind. And so did that special, secret smile of his, so full of joyful mischief that he had only ever expressed towards Maeve. Everything was so vivid now; his black suit and tie with no sign of a crease, the scent of the crimson rose pinned to his jacket, the palpable impatience that oozed from him as he slipped the ring onto her finger, and those bright green, twinkling eyes that spoke to her in their mysterious language that was clear, only, to her. His smiling lips moved and out flowed his strong English accent, devoting himself to her and ending with an ‘I do’. The scene wavered and changed…
The water lapped onto the shore, immersing her bare feet and soaking the hem of her wedding gown. The red lit sun blazed close to the horizon and streaked the sky with the colours of ruby, topaz, rose quartz and amethyst. Warm golden light touched the utopian world and, most importantly, her love. Just ahead, shirt sleeves and pants rolled up, ebony hair ruffled, and whistling a beautiful tune, was her husband. The sight watered her eyes. “Wait!” Maeve shouted. He turned. “I love you!” She lifted her gown up to her knees and rushed to him; that secret smile played on his lips. “I’m coming!”
Maeve’s eyes flew open tears streaming down her cheeks. “I’m coming…” she whispered with a smile. Her eyes shut once more. “….Edward” The heart monitor made a monotonous and stubborn beep, but it was like a grain of sand to Maeve, being swept away with the warm ocean breeze. Nothing compared to the extraordinary voice of her husband playfully scolding, with detectable impatience, “I’ve been waiting for you.”

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!