Never Giving Up

Bombs and explosions sounded as people could be heard screaming, trying to save their loved ones. The wind screened the horrifying sight of blood and echoes of people dying. Her back was turned to the sight and her hair whipped around her while her wispy shirt rustled in the unwelcoming breeze. Dust flew everywhere as another explosion landed. The wind gusted furiously while she heard the echo of her name from a distance. She turned around, staring at the sight before her. The view was appalling; blood was everywhere, people were screaming as they died and explosions exploding far and wide. Her family was running towards her, their arms full of precious belongings while their faces were streaked with tears. She stood there; the sun fading beneath the white and frothy clouds, as she saw the dead bodies lying around, white-faced and blood-splattered. She could not see her mum in the crowd coming forth and her heart stopped beating as her mind realized the dawning truth. She hoped with all her heart that it wasn’t true and she covered her mouth to stop the sobs and tears from coming. No. It couldn’t be true. It couldn’t. No! She choked out sobs of sorrow and grief as her family came closer and closer. Her mum was the only person who had understood her, she was the most loving in the family and she could brighten anybody’s day but now she was gone. The day seemed heavier than ever, very grave and crucial. More bombs went off in the distance and it seemed closer than ever. She embraced her family with a soundless hug and with legs pumping; they began to run away to a place where there are no bombs or explosions. She took one look back towards the village; where she was born and where her mother had died and then fled towards the unknown places ahead.

Days of traveling caused her pain but the memories and echoes of her mother dying made her journey quicker. The flimsy clothes she was wearing were torn and tattered as she stumbled across the never-ending path. She couldn’t do it, it was all too much. She collapsed on the floor, aching in pain and agony. This was torture. She couldn’t go any further; it was killing her. The thought of food filled her mind and she groaned with hunger as the hot, scorching sun burned down on her skin, sizzling rapidly. She could barely even lift up her fingers as she gradually crawled towards a vibrant tree ahead. She thought about all of the things her mum would have said to her right now. Her mother would tell her to never give up and to keep trying. Just the thought of her mum brought tears to her eyes and she let out a great sob of sadness. After, she felt a strong urge of determination. She decided that she would never give up, even though her mother was gone. She would be strong.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!