Never Noticed

Never Noticed
Annie Zhang, Year 6
He swings her around, and throws her up in the air. His lovely daughter gives a shriek of delight as she sails up, her little limbs flailing. Her father catches her and they collapse onto the sofa, laughing.
Their joy stings the one watching through the keyhole; a little girl. Her hair is raven black and her eyes are a sparkling indigo. As she watches, tears well up in her eyes, tears of pain, failure and envy. Her tears plop onto the floorboards as she watches her twin and her father, her beloved father.
He carries his beautiful daughter on his back, her chin resting on his shoulder. He strides towards the door and the girl behind shrinks into the corner.
The man lightly pushes the door open. He pauses in the doorway and whispers into his favourite daughter’s ear, “I love you more than anyone else in the world.” He tenderly kisses her rosy cheek, kicks the door closed and walks on.
The door swings into place to reveal the hiding girl. Her face is as white as a sheet and her slender body is trembling as her mesmerising indigo eyes dilate. She replays the scene in her head. He wouldn’t say that, would he?
He would.
The girl crashes through the front door, glistening tears trickling down her pale face. She tears blindly through the rapidly falling snow, sobbing, sobbing. Tears blur her vision and the girl stumbles over a thick tree root jutting up above the pure snow. She gives a cry of surprise, her arms wind-milling and her eyes filling with fear as she descends into the white.
The girl lies limp in the snow, sobbing silently. She faintly hears her father’s mellow voice chanting, “Eva, Eva!” as he carries Eva to bed. She hears him bade her sister good-night and feels jealousy staining her soul. Every night of the girl’s life she hears her father chanting “Eva, Eva!” before Eva goes to bed. She cannot remember a single time when it was “Judy, Judy!”
Why can’t her father love her? She struggles so hard to please him, but he only ever notices Eva. It is always Eva stealing the spotlight, the girl thinks enviously. She loves her father dearly, but her father does not love her. He loves Eva, beautiful, perfect Eva and she is sure that his feelings shall never change. There is no hope for her now, she knows. Her father will never love her.
The girl continues to weep tears of heartbreak and envy. As agonizing thoughts whirl through her mind, the girl’s delicate, persistent little heart is being torn apart.
As the child weeps for her failure, the snow falls thick and fast, hiding everything under a thick, freezing blanket. The poor girl is unaware as the snow rises, creeping unnoticed up her body. As all her self-confidence and hope falls into ruins and the ray of hope shining in the girl’s ravaged heart is extinguished, the snow still falls remorselessly.

FOLLOW US


25

Write4Fun.net was established in 1997, and since then we have successfully completed numerous short story and poetry competitions and publications.
We receive an overwhelming positive feedback each year from the teachers, parents and students who have involvement in these competitions and publications, and we will continue to strive to attain this level of excellence with each competition we hold.

KEEP IN TOUCH

Stay informed about the latest competitions, competition winners and latest news!